At the core of the United Way of Southeastern Connecticut is the work provided by the 40 programs in 23 partner agencies. These respected nonprofit organizations are home to programs which together with other United Way programs and initiatives (such as the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Bank, New Capacities: Norwich, Project Warm-Up, Day of Caring, the New London County Fund to End Homelessness), American Red Cross CT Chapter's Armed Forces Emergency Services and Disaster Services, and United Way 2-1-1, provide the building blocks for a good quality of life for people in our community. Its mission is “to inspire and coordinate the generosity and commitment that sustains a united, thriving community.”
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Community Engagement Specialist primarily oversees a fundraising portfolio of corporate accounts and utilizes a process that sets goals, identifies volunteers, develops prospects, and engages in year round stewardship activities. The specialist will coordinate and support various fundraising projects that include workplace giving campaigns, appeals, special events, individual donor cultivation, and additional engagement activities to develop deep relationships and identify new strategies to drive revenue.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Support resource development fundraising activities, coordinate volunteers and constituents with a donor centered engagement focus.
- Maintain relationships with key donors and stakeholders to ensure year-round support and cultivation to promote the United Way and its programs to the community.
- Manage assigned portfolio of accounts and provide excellent customer service to donors and volunteers.
- Engage in the review of previous campaign performance and giving histories, identify possible areas for improvement, evaluate local economic conditions and other relevant information to help determine realistic, yet growth-oriented fundraising potential.
- Be embedded with the corporate partners to understand their community engagement needs and be able to align them with UWSECT initiatives and community needs.
- Develop new partnerships and giving opportunities to broaden the base of financial support for United Way.
- Oversee United Way’s Young Leaders affinity group.
- Work in conjunction with other Team Members in the planning, organizing and carrying out of special events.
- Support the recruiting, orientation and training of volunteers and provide on-going motivational support, aid and technical assistance as assigned.
- Utilize the donor database.
- Assist with marketing efforts as they relate to resource development activities and fundraising engagement, including social media platforms.
- Attend United Way events, networking opportunities, and Community Investment programs.
- Articulate, self-motivated, well organized and able to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior non-profit, fundraising, campaign, major gift solicitation, sales or strong relationship building experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment and communicate effectively across departments.
- Ability to create, grow and retain relationships with volunteers, donors and community members.
- Strong computer skills needed that include but are not limited to: Microsoft Office Suite, social media channels and prior experience with donor database systems.
- Passion to make a difference in the New London County Community
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.