An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
Department: Community Engagement (Marketing)
Reports to: Senior Director, Community Engagement
Classification: Full-time; Non-exempt (Union member)
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
Based in the Bay Area, UWBA is hiring a Community Engagement Specialist to create meaningful experiences for clients, companies, and community-based organizations. Coordinates virtual opportunities, volunteer events and educational opportunities for United Way workplace campaigns, affinity groups and donor prospects to learn more about United Way’s work and impact and to create a positive and engaging volunteer experience. Responsibilities includes coordinating engagement efforts with internal departments and community programs.
What you’ll do:
- Identify Community Needs – Survey, source, and employ community partners to enhance programming through volunteerism and events. Work closely with the Community Impact Team to host virtual and in-person coaching sessions for United Way and partner participants. Coaching sessions are volunteer-led and areas around resume-writing, interviewing, wealth generation, and career exploration. Grow community partners to ensure resources are shared with underserved Bay Area residents.
- Match Beneficiaries with Resources – Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Community Engagement, match community needs with corporate groups. Write beneficiary descriptions with program staff and add postings to the portal for individual and group sign-ups. Identify community-based organizations to receive backpack supplies, food donations, and gifts as recipients for our annual Week of Caring, Days of Service, and adopt-a-family projects. Works directly with Community Impact Team to arrange logistics for volunteer projects and virtual opportunities.
- Logistics & Distribution – Design opportunities to engagement and retain clients. Create records in Salesforce of beneficiaries, in-kind donations, speakers, and pro-bono volunteerism. You will coordinate volunteer/event registration, ordering supplies, tracking packages, and supports distribution to beneficiaries. Works directly with Community Impact Team to arrange logistics for volunteer projects and virtual opportunities. Book space, set-up Zoom, schedule events, complete marketing briefs, and send feedback surveys following projects. Schedule and facilitate the delivery of projects to beneficiaries.
- Communication and Admin – Work with Marketing department to ensure we are creating awareness around volunteerism and the impact through blogs, social media and photos from the event. Coordinate logistics for annual volunteer training sessions on how to use the web-portal and partner with Community Engagement. Update and disseminate various corporate group communications.
Who you are:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience with volunteer management, community engagement, events, and the nonprofit sector.
- Experienced with researching, identifying, and coordinating outreach strategies to cultivate volunteer. relationships with corporations, professional associations, and community/partner organizations.
- Experienced with CRM, data entry, or experience with volunteer tracking systems; experience and ability to think strategically to maximize use of databases.
- Able to work virtually/independently while managing 5 – 50 volunteers on a project.
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, ability to get job done.
- Team player who excels at working collaboratively – both listening and actively contributing – as well as independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of the giving potential and power of volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver engagement presentations to lapsed, current and potential volunteers and donors.
- Possess organizational and team building skills.
- Able to gather and synthesize information from a wide variety of people and sources.
- Have a history of improving the lives of diverse populations with service.
- Acknowledges and champions the efforts of others to “think outside the box.” Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends that affect United Way.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
Salary: $55,000 - 60,000
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.
Login at: www.uwba.org/careers and submit your resume along with cover letter