We Love What Makes You Unique
Your perspective fuels our mission-driven work at United Way of Greater New Haven. We are committed to building a team that is inclusive across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and lived experience. As a team, we are also committed to addressing systemic racism and injustice in our community, our partnerships, and our practices.
Who We Are Looking For
Are you a community-oriented self-starter with a passion for mobilizing people to get involved in making their community a better place? Do you know how to design volunteer events and strategies to bring people and groups together and create lasting relationships and connections? Are you excited about the prospect of creating and managing a new initiative to engage young leaders to create change in the community?
The Community Engagement Manager will apply their relationship and project management skills, along with communications best practices, to create high-quality engagement opportunities with United Way stakeholders. You will have the ability to work independently and as a member of the Community Engagement team to inspire people, especially the next generation, to get involved in the work of United Way and to Live United.
What You Will Do
- Support the Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement in creating and implementing a new initiative to engage the next generation of young professionals in United Way’s work through targeted outreach, social event planning, volunteerism and by developing a sense of shared values. This includes supporting a strategy that connects to long-term fundraising priorities.
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator and Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement to design and implement engaging volunteer activities, with a strategic connection to organizational priorities.
- Develop and grow meaningful relationships with key partners, volunteers, and employee groups. Set goals and action steps needed to deepen engagement on a year-round basis.
- Acquire an understanding of the work and value of United Way of Greater New Haven to give compelling presentations that inspire individuals to support United Way’s mission.
- Support the volunteerism objectives of the organization, including on-site event management and other related tasks.
- Assist with other tasks as needed.
What You Need
- Project Management Skills: Excellent organizational skills and a sharp attention to detail. Ability to manage many concurrent projects, prioritizing and planning for highest productivity.
- Relationship Building Skills: Skills to establish and maintain high quality relationships with a variety of stakeholders and create a consistent, positive experience for volunteers and organizations at every touch point. Experience connecting community outreach to fundraising success.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred with some experience in affinity group management, fundraising, volunteer engagement, community engagement or 5+ years related professional experience.
- Communication Skills: Strong interpersonal skills; able to interface and collaborate with all departments and ability to represent United Way in a variety of settings. Comfort conducting presentations. Experience working with committees and volunteers preferred.
- Supervisory Skills: Proven ability to manage team members to achieve desired goals.
- Technology Skills: Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Teams. Experience with CRM databases and online giving platforms.
- Send resume and cover letter describing why you are interested in and qualified for the position to email@example.com with the following subject line: Application for Community Engagement Manager.
- Position will remain open until filled.
- The salary range is $46,000-$56,000 depending on experience.
About United Way
United Way of Greater New Haven brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Health, and Financial Stability, grounded in racial and social justice. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Going forward, United Way of Greater New Haven is pursuing a hybrid work schedule that accommodates both in-office and remote opportunities, however the ability to participate in in-person activities is important for this role. Our office is in New Haven, CT, and most activities take place in our 12-town region.