Community Engagement Manager
Volunteer Engagement/Fundraising & Engagement
Safeguarding our team members is an important part of how we ensure our continued work in the communities we serve. As a condition of employment, UWCI requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, barring an approved exemption. All UWCI team members will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 19, 2021, barring an approved exception.
We partner to design, support and grow systems that accelerate financial stability and upward mobility for individuals and families living in or near poverty and striving for a brighter future. Our vision is that Central Indiana will be a community where children, individuals and families thrive; neighbors care for each other; and we are proud of all our residents' quality of life.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with ICARE. This is an exciting time to be part of United Way of Central Indiana's team as we embark on a new strategic framework that fosters innovation, builds community partnerships, and integrates across traditional functional areas.
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes that the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. The Community Engagement Manager advances the mission of United Way of Central Indiana by developing, retaining and significantly growing the level of engagement and revenue generated through participation in Immersive Learning Initiatives (poverty simulations, equity journey, wealth gap simulation, etc.), Leadership United board development program and other immersion type of initiatives that build empathy, educate participants around community issues/needs and inspire them to act. The Manager will develop, coordinate, promote, organize and facilitate immersive and leadership development initiatives for community members, businesses, schools, etc. They will also identify new viable opportunities for additional involvement with UWCI. The Manager will work closely with the Volunteer Engagement and Fundraising teams to create and execute community engagement initiatives, as well as work across teams in the organization to collaborate and align with UWCI initiatives to impact lives across Central Indiana.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Strategy Development: Responsible for creating and driving innovative strategies that will optimize donor/volunteer experiences. Develop, implement and lead new immersive initiatives as determined by organizational goals.
- Program Management: Coordinate, manage and facilitate immersive learning experiences, programs, etc. for community members, businesses, schools, community organizations, etc. Lead the recruitment, design and facilitation of the Leadership United program.
- Annual Goals: Work with other members of the UWCI team to ensure that goals reflect, align and contribute to the broader goals of the organization. Develop and implement a strategic revenue generating growth plan for all immersive learning initiatives, meeting or exceeding revenue goals, that are part of the overall fundraising goal, each year.
- Constituent Relationships: Work with UWCI's Impact team to identify opportunities for community collaboration. Develop and maintain regular contact with community partners, donor affinity group prospects and volunteers. Identify and communicate with appropriate UWCI team members regarding opportunities to leverage these relationships more broadly.
- Relationships: Develop mutually beneficial business-community relationships/partnerships to promote and execute initiatives that support UWCI's mission and community impact goals and increase participants' affinity for and giving to UWCI
- Flexibility: UWCI is evolving with our changing external environment. Flexibility is a key attribute for this position. A willingness to take on additional duties to ensure the success of the team is essential.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, flexibility, adaptability and the ability to multi-task and be open-minded in a fast-paced environment. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and review literature to understand key issues.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in curriculum development, non-profit board training and development, staff development, training or adult learning and volunteer management required. Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis. Knowledge of the central Indiana community and the human service sector is preferred. Proven ability to write curriculum, facilitate workshops and small groups required. Must have effective verbal and written communication, events management, planning and team-building skills, a strong reputation for integrity and professionalism, ability to resolve conflict constructively, strong performance management and evaluation capabilities including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability, ability to build strong relationship both inside and outside UWCI, ability to think strategically and a commitment to fostering an inclusive environment consistent with UWCI's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
United Way of Central Indiana's team is evaluated on the following core competencies:
- Job Knowledge
- Thriving in Change
Position Leader: Senior Director, Volunteer Engagement
Position Leads: N/A
FLSA Status: Full-time, EXEMPT
Salary Range: Market
Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/team
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.