Volunteers In Service to America (VISTA) is a national service program, similar to PeaceCorps, except all members are placed at locations within the United States. AmeriCorps VISTA members build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at a local level, and empower individuals and communities.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
To build the capacity of community outreach and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to serve more El Pasoans in need. The Community Development Liaison will focus on neighborhood outreach strategies to promote the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and ancillary services such as youth activities and the GECU food pantry
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Objective of the Assignment :
Assess the current GECU outreach strategies and begin to develop new outreach strategies to promote the VITA program and other GECU Foundation services.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Research events & organizations to promote Financial Education Program & outreach on tax assistance programs.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Develop a plan for recruiting and training volunteers to assist with outreach efforts and implementing youth activities at the community center.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Develop a list of potential events that GECU can set up a table at to promote the VITA program and other GECU Foundation services.
Objective of the Assignment
Build the capacity of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program by working with volunteers and site staff to ensure programs are operating at VITA sites and have all of the operation materials needed
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Work with Program Director in the progress of the outreach strategy through building community awareness of the Financial Education & tax assistance programs.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Assist in the planning & coordination of outreach events and cultivate new ones.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Coordinate with existing GECU Volunteer/ Event Coordinator to offer continual assistance with needed materials, supplies and volunteers for VITA sites.
Member Activity (09/12/2021 - 09/10/2022): Regularly attend department meetings.
AmeriCorps Members will receive (upon successful completion of program requirements):
A living allowance of $575.40 every two weeks.
Upon completion of a full year of service (12 months), the VISTA will have the option to receive an education award ($6,495) or cash stipend ($1,800)
A health insurance plan and SNAP eligibility
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.