About United Way of El Paso County
United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
POSITION: Community Communications Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Engagement & Communications
The Community Communications Coordinator supports the mission of United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) through development and implementation of online marketing strategies for El Paso United, which is composed of the El Paso United Community Resiliency Center (assisting El Pasoans affected by the COVID-19 pandemic) and the El Paso United Family Resiliency Center (assisting those affected by the August 3rd Walmart shooting in El Paso).
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Marketing and Communication
The Community Communications Coordinator supports the Assistant Director of Engagement and Communications by developing and fulfilling the duties of a comprehensive marketing plan (inclusive of outreach efforts).
- Manage El Paso United’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other relevant platforms
- Engage in social media presence creation on new and emerging social media platforms
- Create dynamic written, graphic, and video content
- Coordinate ad campaigns with social media strategy
- Use timelines and scheduled content to create a consistent stream of new content for audience interaction while analyzing, managing, and altering schedules where necessary to optimize visits
- Support broad variety of marketing and communications projects and any related initiatives and strategies, with an emphasis on copy (e.g., print materials, newsletter, print advertising, website, Opinion Editorials, public service announcements, etc.), and graphic design
- Assist in maintaining a strong online presence through Community Resiliency Center’s website(s) includingblog and evaluating search engine optimization and search engine marketing
- Coordinate media relations and maintain strong relationships with external public relations and communication partners and broadcast and print media outlets
- Assist in multimedia production
- As needed, serve as agency photographer/videographer and maintain media library
- Support website design and maintenance
- Establish relationships with service agencies for optimal understanding as to what is provided, to whom and for what purpose
- Collect information regarding available resources including financial, goods and services to maintain and distribute resource listings
- Assist and/or write scripts for media interviews and special events.
- Works with the Community Resiliency Center Manager to coordinate educational and resource events, activities and workshops
- Develop collaborative relationships with a wide variety of El Paso area neighborhood organizations, schools and other partners
- Plan and implement promotional strategies for all services to broaden program participation and deepen general public awareness of centers through multiple channels including print and broadcast, public presentations and grassroots communication
- Support manager with contracted outreach provider.
· Be part of the support team during special event(s).
Stay current on marketing, social, economic and political trends that may have an effect on El Paso United and United Way of El Paso County and make recommendations to enhance our image based on those trends.
- Maintain working knowledge of the status of programs, engagement, and initiatives to fully participate and provide status updates, when necessary.
- Seek and maintain strong community partnerships with local service providers and potential supporters.
- Cultivate a strong collaborative of response and engagement within El Paso United by convening partners to assess community needs and strategically execute programs in collaboration with partners.
- Participate in recurring program and strategic meetings to assist in shaping the vision of UWEPC Community Impact products and partnerships in relation to El Paso United.
- Advocate for UWEPC Community Impact products with community partners and stakeholders. Research new programs and services that may be relevant to the mission and values of UWEPC.
- Develop and cultivate successful strategic business/personal relationships.
- Facilitate relationships with partners for direct services to clients including reporting, and information-sharing.
CROSS FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work effectively with other teams at United Way to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Attend key community events and activities as a way to promote United Way of El Paso County’s mission, vision and core values becoming a defined community ambassador for United Way, in particular as it relates to the Community Resiliency Center and disaster response.
- Cultivate community support for United Way by maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses and individuals.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCIES:
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel); Strong skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects), Canva and Constant Contact; Strong knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, Facebook Live, Microsoft Teams; Intermediate knowledge of case management software and workflow.
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- Think Strategically
Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration
Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Engage and Inspire
Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust
Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community
Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
Core Competencies for all UWEPC Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Qualifications - Knowledge, Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
At least two years of relevant work experience is preferred. Staff person must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple marketing communications projects. Experience in copywriting; graphic design and layout; and brandmark (logo) development is required.
Knowledge of the non-profit sector is a plus. Must have experience capturing and editing photos and video.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required. Bilingual Spanish, essential.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is a full time exempt position with competitive Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance and Retirement Contributions).