Job Title: Community Assistance Network (CAN) Advocate
Reporting to: Community Impact Coordinator
Department: Community Impact and Operations
Classification: Full-time and part-time available; Hourly wage
Overall Purpose of this Role:
The Community Assistance Network (CAN) Advocate functions to support United Ways’ collective impact work of providing advocacy and referral services. By connecting people to available resources for basic needs and ongoing assistance, the CAN Advocate is essential to helping people avoid and address poverty-related crises and create Pathways out of Poverty.
- Models kindness with internal and external customers, upholding United Way’s commitment to equity and unity
- Understands and consistently practices responsiveness and accountability to all customers
- Communicates clearly and concisely with people from diverse backgrounds
- Coordinates with multiple partners
- Manages multiple case records including customer time as well as associated administrative duties and timelines
- Adapts to changing needs and service delivery systems
- Practices professional boundaries
- Advocates on behalf of those in need
- Able to problem solve creatively
- Actively listen with empathy to individuals experiencing vulnerability and crisis
- Collect and utilize information to determine eligibility for various programs and services and identify perceived and unperceived needs
- Work diligently and advocate on behalf of customers to connect those in need to available resources
- Complete intake forms, referral forms, other needed documents, and referral processes for diverse partnerships
- Enter data into appropriate customer record systems
- Knowledge of and experience navigating human services and social systems
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Customer service experience
- Preferred: lived experience of poverty on the Peninsula; skills in motivational interviewing
Send your resume to email@example.com
Our mission as the United Way of the Virginia Peninsula is to improve the quality of life for people in our community by helping them live their best possible lives. United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community.
We do this by finding new SOLUTIONS to old problems.
...By forging unlikely PARTNERSHIPS.
...By mobilizing the best RESOURCES.
...By INSPIRING individuals to join the fight.
...By LIVING UNITED.
United Way of the Virginia Peninsula Equity Statement
"We believe that equity is the guiding principle of OUR work and the reason WE exist. By acknowledging the impacts of generational poverty and the historical precedent of racism, bias, and gender inequality, WE are empowered to focus OUR resources and influence on addressing the root causes of poverty and ensuring access to services and economic mobility for ALL."