The United Way of El Paso County is an independent, locally governed and community-supported nonprofit agency that is focused on identifying and making a measurable change in four areas: Education, Basic Needs, Health and Financial Stability through funding, advocacy, creating collaborative partnerships, and developing volunteer resources. The organization, which has been in El Paso for more than 95 years, focuses on creating long-term, lasting change to make El Paso a better community for everyone. United Way also serves as the manager/fiscal agent for the city, county and state employee campaigns.
Unite and mobilize the El Paso community around focused effort that:
- connects our most vulnerable to basic needs,
- closes educational achievement gaps,
- promotes lifelong financial stability for all El Pasoans,
- and connects people with opportunities to give, advocate, and volunteer.
El Paso County is the premier multi-cultural community in which to raise a family.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications & Outreach Coordinator contributes to the achievement of United Way’s mission and vision through development and implementation communications strategies and outreach services for the El Paso United Community Assistance Center, which assists with the needs of victims and families affected by the El Paso Walmart Shooting.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Marketing and Communication
The Communications & Outreach Coordinator supports the Vice President of Marketing and Communications by developing and fulfilling the duties of a comprehensive event and outreach marketing plan.
- Plan and implement promotional strategies for all programming to broaden program participation and deepen general public awareness of Center through multiple channels including print and broadcast, public presentations and grassroots communication
- Support broad variety of marketing and communications projects and any related initiatives and strategies, with an emphasis on copy (e.g., print materials, newsletter, print advertising, website, Opinion Editorials, public service announcements, etc.), and graphic design
- Coordinate media relations and maintain strong relationships with external public relations and communication partners and broadcast and print media outlets
- As needed, serve as agency photographer/videographer
- Support website maintenance
- Assist and/or write scripts for media interviews and special events.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
At least two years of relevant work experience is preferred. Staff person must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple marketing communications projects. Experience in copywriting; event coordination; and media relations required.
Knowledge of the non-profit sector is a plus as well as some experience in a mental health and substance abuse field, crisis intervention, and or/mental health information or referral.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.