About the Internship: UWGPSNJ is seeking an organized, energetic individual to join the Communications Department as a Communications Intern for the summer. The Communications Intern will provide vital support to the Communications Department’s initiatives, such as writing, researching and event support. This is an exciting opportunity to work with an established organization with regional influence. The Communications Intern will report to directly to UWGPSNJ’s Associate Director, Communications.
Learning opportunities and key responsibilities of this internship include:
• Develop a robust portfolio of samples and communications work, potentially to include a media advisory, blog and intranet posts and social media content development
• Learn about communications, branding and public relations strategy for serving internal clients through hands-on projects and responsibilities
• Support the regional media relations plan by researching potential new media contacts, conducting outreach to outlets, or drafting press materials
• Assist with digital and social media efforts by researching potential new social media handles to engage with, brainstorming social media strategy, or updating various social media and digital channels
• Support planning and execution of events by researching venues or assisting with photography
• Support the internal communications strategy, such as planning and creating presentations and documents for Board, committee or all-staff meetings
• Support the Director of Public Policy as needed
• Other related duties as assigned
• Commitment to UWGPSNJ’s mission and values
• Applicants must be a current undergraduate or graduate student with intent to receive college credit for the experience through a valid and structured internship program. All areas of study are encouraged to apply
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Excellent organization and planning skills, including the ability to prioritize while performing multiple projects or tasks simultaneously
• Excellent organizational, self-direction and time management skills
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills
• Applicants with photography or video skills preferred
• Applicants with HTML-coding and Expression Engine experience preferred
Hours & Terms:
• This is a part-time internship with minimum hours 15-20 per week
• Start and end dates to be discussed in the interview process
• This is an unpaid internship to be associated with a bonafide academic program.
How to apply:
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Shirley Campbell (email@example.com), outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for the internship. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include ‘Communications Intern Application’ in the subject line.