Job Title: Chief Strategy and Operations Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Suncoast Region
Date: January 2020
Summary: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer (CSOO) is responsible for leading strategic and annual planning, finance, information technology, data reporting, and all general operations functions at an enterprise level. This position will ensure ongoing alignment of organizational goals and objectives with key organizational priorities by ensuring that dashboards and reports are easily available and communicated to key stakeholders and staff. The CSOO is empowered to ensure that strong financial management and budgeting practices are adhered to and will be responsible for other core operations functions such as facilities management, insurance, contract management and other administrative duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – Other duties may be assigned:
Planning (Organizational and Strategic) and Execution
- Assist the CEO in all organizational planning efforts, including long-term strategic plans as well as annual organization work plans.
- Define a set of clear and appropriate metrics/goals to measure and enhance operational effectiveness and organizational impact.
- Establish processes to ensure accountability for, and adherence to, plans and budgets by all through tracking key metrics and balancing long-term strategic objectives with short-term tactical goals. Advise CEO of any risks and/or missed milestones.
- Collaborate with senior staff to maintain a culture of teamwork and accountability that ensures long- term organizational success and alignment of goals.
Finance and Administration
- Provide leadership and general management support to the finance function and the Vice President, Finance. This position is accountable for the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Lead a cross-functional and inclusive organizational budgeting process. Ensure organizational visibility on financial results throughout the fiscal year by providing regular internal (for staff) and external (Board and Committees) financial reports.
- Oversee the annual audit and 990 filing.
- Serve as primary staff lead for the Finance, Investment, and Audit & Ethics Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Evaluate insurance and compliance needs organizationally and determine policies and coverage as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance to all United Way Worldwide annual membership standards and that annual database requirements are fulfilled.
- Provide leadership and general management support to the Vice President, Information Technology (VP, IT).
- Ensure that information systems are capturing the appropriate data for organizational dashboards to provide measurements and insights for both the Board and staff.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators at the enterprise-level and corresponding visualization approaches to build a culture that uses data to inform decision making.
- Collaborate with the VP,IT to set technology direction and team accountability and ensure that core operational support is provided to all offices and location sites.
- Through the VP,IT, manage the donor services and pledge processing function with a focus on customer service and accuracy.
- Support the expansion of Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud through technical support, account management support and sales expansion.
- Provide leadership, strategic vision and general management support to the Vice President, Planning and Operations.
- Ensure that Community Impact (CI) facing operations, including the investment process, CI data and evaluation, and product development activities are implemented effectively.
- Manage annual external investment and grant-making process.
- Ensure that CI data collection is used for continuous improvement of UWS’s programs.
- Oversee development, implementation and evaluation of all internal operating policies.
- Monitor and recommend changes or amendments as necessary and appropriate.
- Review and pre-approve all organizational contracts and MOU’s prior to commitment.
- Establish a visible profile and leadership position with key stakeholders, including partners, thought leaders, and corporate audiences.
- Demonstrate strong external community involvement through volunteer service on community boards.
- Volunteer and actively participate in agency projects, special events, cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
Directly supervise Operations/ Administrative/Strategy/Information Technology managerial and administrative support staff. Perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential job duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or related field. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of operations, finance, or strategy. Supervisory experience required. Must have demonstrated ability to design systems and processes and evaluate those systems’ effectiveness in generating results. Experience managing high-level committee and board volunteers preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: Excellent active listening, persuasion, negotiation, and presentation skills required. Strong complex problem solving, coordination, critical thinking, interpersonal and judgment skills required. Business writing and supervisory skills required. Must have demonstrated a high level of experience and success in building productive professional/working relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports, business periodicals, news articles and professional publications. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to present information to and respond to questions from groups of diverse organizational employees, managers, and senior level high profile decision makers.
Computer and Analytic Skills: Requires advanced knowledge of MS office software and data base programs. Strong analytic and strategic planning skills required.
Licenses: A valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets our insurance guidelines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels, with extensive in-the-field activities within the Suncoast Region.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.