United Way Fresno and Madera Counties has experienced rapid growth in revenue and impact. To support this growth and future growth, we are searching for a highly qualified Chief of Staff to work closely with our CEO and Leadership Team. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Chief of Staff will operate at strategic, operational, and tactical levels to enhance the effectiveness of the CEO and the organization. The Chief of Staff will be a thought partner to the CEO and oversee project management, partner with the CEO on strategic planning, oversee Board material development, provide strategic advice and facilitate interdepartmental communication. They will be a thought partner to the CEO and their direct reports and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously. This is a highly influential and visible role that needs an individual who is comfortable with influencing without direct authority.
Essential Functions – Overall responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Other duties as assigned
- Help CEO identify priorities, strategically align his/her time with those, and revisit them regularly to assess progress
- Provide and oversee administrative support to the CEO, including strategic management of the CEO calendar, prioritizing their time and schedule, providing meeting preparation and follow-up.
- Act as a key thought partner, brainstorming & identifying solutions to challenges
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors and Committees; oversee meeting preparation and planning for Board of Directors; support CEO in managing interactions with board chair and committee leaders
- Composes written correspondence on behalf of the CEO and prepares reports and other documents as needed.
- Represent CEO/President in meetings, by email, and phone calls with internal and external stakeholders.
- Support CEO/President in meetings by taking notes and assuming responsibility for completion of action items.
- Ensures timely and effective completion of projects and initiatives.
- Researches and recommends new and revised strategies.
- Creates and maintains systems and processes to streamline operations.
- Establishes standards and procedures for hiring and managing the office staff and personnel for the CEO/President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Jack-of-all-trades, with experience in wide-ranging or cross-functional areas, and an eagerness to learn new skills
- Strategic thinker, data-driven and analytical in approach to solving problems
- Strong written and verbal communication; listens well and can easily learn to communicate in someone else’s “written voice”
- Excels at building relationships and networks; influences others to achieve outcomes
- Systems and process-thinker; loves creating order out of chaos
- Deeply loyal and committed to the mission
- Maintains confidentiality at all times
- Experience with project management
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- At least 7 years of professional experience
- Combination of experience and education.