We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting. Join us.
United Way of Greater Kansas City, is searching for a Chief of Staff who believes that solutions to complex social problems are possible when Kansas Citians are united for transformative change. Primary responsibility is to manage the rhythm of the business communications, develop leadership keynotes and narratives, and lead strategic initiatives and cross functional time bound projects. This leader reports directly to the CEO, serves as a strategic advisor to the Executive Team, and collaborates with company and department leaders to achieve their goals.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Support & Advise the CEO:
- Work with Marketing & Development on CEO presentations.
- Review and summarize contracts for CEO signature.
- Assist the Marketing & Development in the creation of key presentations, keynotes and talking points for CEO.
- In conjunction with Data & Insights, provide CEO with supporting targeted data and information.
- Oversee special projects and events as directed by CEO.
- Play a key advisory and support role in the creation of long-term organizational priorities, strategies, and key performance indicators.
- Independently lead special initiatives, cross-functional time-bound projects, and other key activities as assigned on a rolling basis.
Support Governance Functions:
- Develop Board of Trustee agendas, secure speakers and assist with talking points and other strategic messaging for CEO and board leadership.
- Act as primary staff liaison with Governance committee by planning agendas and providing follow up to governance initiatives.
- In collaboration with the CEO, enhance the Board of Trustee experience to improve attendance and board engagement.
- With the Governance Committee, create overall strategy, recruitment targets and curriculum for the bi-annual Governance Academy.
Foster a Collaborative Work Environment:
- Facilitate CEO-directed, cross-functional initiatives that enhance the staff experience.
- Oversee internal communication and organizational practice strategies that enhances transparency, effectiveness, and organizational culture.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred. Focus in business, philanthropic studies, public administration, marketing or other related fields with at least five years business or nonprofit administrative experience required.
- Must have a proven record of success against measurable objectives at previous companies/non-profits.
- A strong reputation for integrity and professionalism.
- Possess intellectual curiosity and a drive to excel.
- Strong performance management and evaluation capabilities including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability.
- Ability to build strong relationships both inside and outside UWGKC, to think strategically, and to foster an inclusive environment consistent with UWGKC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Must have the ability to prepare, explain, and monitor performance.
- Manage a diverse group of volunteers, manage projects and workload, and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.