Job Title: Chief Operations Officer
Reports to: President and CEO
Status: Salaried, Exempt, Full time
Classification: Level IV
Headquartered in Albuquerque, United Way of North Central New Mexico (UWNCNM) serves the people of five counties: Bernalillo, Sandoval, Santa Fe, Torrance, and Valencia. Our mission is connecting people to opportunities and services to equitably improve lives and strengthen communities.
UWNCNM brings together donors, businesses, nonprofits, government, and others to create better solutions to our community’s challenges. Our programs and donor dollars ensure that individuals and families in central New Mexico have the opportunity to achieve potential through education, that they are healthy and safe, are financially stable and live life with dignity.
UWNCNM has a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and upholds the following values:
- We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
- We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
- We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
- We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
As part of the senior leadership team, the Chief Operations Officer (COO) oversees Human Resources, IT, our statewide association work, and facilities. This position works with the Finance Director/Controller (FD) and supports areas of finance, information systems, and human resources functions to maintain accountability and assurance of financial integrity for volunteers, donors, and staff. The COO plays a vital role in the organization’s daily operations, strategy, and planning.
This position has a broad range of decision-making authority when working in areas where current policies and procedures apply. In areas where there are no policies or procedures, or the Board of Directors has not stated their position, the President and CEO must be consulted and is the final authority.
Any significant decision related to personnel, such as evaluations, raises or discipline issues, must be made in consultation and with the President/CEO approval.
This position does not have the sole authority to make personnel decisions such as salary, hiring or termination of staff.
- Responsible for effective and positive supervision of Chief Impact Officer, Chief Corporate Relations Officer, Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Director, Santa Fe Area Director, and Human Resources Director. Provides support and accountability with the UWNCNM leadership team. Serving as a mentor and leader following United Way of North Central New Mexico’s mission and vision.
- Serve as staff lead to the strategic planning process ensuring all UWNCNM staff are engaged and active in the strategic plan. Including regular review and process of the plan. Quarterly updates/reports going to President/CEO.
- Responsible for maintaining and ensuring accuracy of United Way of North Central New Mexico’s policies and procedures. All policies and procedures are to be reviewed annually.
- Oversight and support of special projects and programs, along with the Chief Impact Officer and required by the President/CEO, to include but not limited to disaster response, gap fill areas, and DEI programs.
- Ensuring data, outcome measurement and debrief is done on all special projects. Within a reasonable amount of time, a comprehension report must be given to the President/CEO.
- Work closely with the President/CEO on operations of United Way of North Central New Mexico and serve as back up to the CEO when requested.
- Attend events, meetings, and other activities representing United Way and its mission when required by President/CEO.
- Assess and implement improved processes, new technologies, and collaborate with President/CEO regarding the implementation of these improvements.
- Serve as staff liaison to the IT task force following United Way of North Central New Mexico protocol.
- Attend and actively participate in Community Impact, Human Resources, Administration, and board committee meetings.
- Serve on community committees and initiatives representing United Way of North Central New Mexico’s involvement as requested by President/CEO.
- Keep in contact with IT on who should be on the list to contact for the alarm codes, oversight of security cameras and keep information current.
- Coordinate with President/CEO to ensure disaster/emergency drills happen throughout the year. Updating security procedures regularly.
- Assist in other areas as assigned. Within UWNCNM, take the initiative to assist in other duties outside of your department.
- Support recruitment and talent retention strategies including recognizing and retaining volunteers and donors.
- Maintain confidentiality with records and other information that may be assigned.
- Follow policies and procedures of United Way of North Central New Mexico (i.e., employee handbook, policies, and procedures, etc.)
- Be familiar with all United Way of North Central New Mexico partner agencies.
- Participate in disaster readiness and action in times of need.
- To meet objectives, the position regularly deals with all departments, paid staff, President/CEO.
- Required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Manage day-to-day business operations and keep the CEO/President advised of the operational condition of the organization.
- Strong technical skills.
- Ability to efficiently handle multiple tasks.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal skills.
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to supervise and work as part of a team.
- Extensive knowledge of UWNCNM nonprofit sector.
- Experience working as part of a senior team building effective, collaborative relationships.
- Ability to exhibit behaviors that reflect and support organizational direction.
- Strong contributor traits such as strategic, creative, and progressive thinking.
- Success in handling major horizontal priorities in a fast, decision-making environment.
- Well-organized with strong follow-up and follow-through: a high degree of ethics and integrity, and values that align with the mission of UWNCNM.
- Experienced in Excel, Word; including imports/exports and strong budgeting experience.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS [EDUCATION]:
- Bachelor's degree in nonprofit management, business administration or related field, Master’s preferred. Must have experience as an executive director of a non-profit or held a position as the CEO’s second in the organizational structure.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS [EXPERIENCE]:
- Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience, six (6) years of non-profit experience in a health or social service field.
- Experience as an executive director of a non-profit or held a position as the CEO’s second in the organizational structure.
SALARY RANGE: $110,000.00 to $125,000.00 salary per year, 35 hours per week FTE.
BENEFITS: Full-time employees are eligible for health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a retirement plan, flexible spending account and voluntary insurance programs. We offer a tuition reimbursement plan, volunteer time off, and generous leave time. Part-time employees may be eligible for some of these benefits.
- Standard PC Office Equipment
- Telephone and fax machine
- Computer, printer, and related equipment
- Copy Machine
- Microsoft Office
- Internet Explorer
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS/DEXTERITY:
Standard office environment, position is primarily an office setting, requiring long periods of sitting at a desk and computer to accomplish duties and to stand for limited periods of time.
- Regular attendance is required in this position.
- Must be able to operate a personal computer at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Must be able to view computer monitors.
- May be required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation.
UWNCNM supports the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Please tell us if you need accommodation to perform the job's essential functions. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
United Way of North Central New Mexico is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome applicants with disabilities and applicants from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups.
NOTICE: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This job description is meant only to be a guideline and may be modified at any time. UWNCNM is an At-will Employer. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Interested applicants, or if you have additional questions, must supply a resume and cover letter to applicant@UWNCNM.org by March 24, 2023.