We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting. Join us.
United Way of Greater Kansas City, is searching for a Chief Operating Officer who believes that solutions to complex social problems are possible when Kansas Citians are united for transformative change. Primary responsibility is to manage the operational aspects of the business and serve as a strategic thought leader in collaboration of the CEO and other executives. This leader collaborates with company and department leaders to achieve their goals.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- In conjunction with the SVP, Finance, direct and oversee day-to-day administration and control of accounting, treasury and payroll functions, and not-for-profit regulations, guidelines, and laws.
- Advise CEO, Board of Trustees, and Management Team on matters pertaining to finance policies and plans
- Participate in financial and business planning including reviewing financial reports, managing the budget process, and ensuring auditing and accounting policies are followed.
- Oversee day-to-day administration and control of human resource functions.
- Responsible for all insurance and benefits plans.
Organizational & Community Impact Oversight:
- Participate in the development of organizational objectives to ensure high quality services.
- Ensure new and existing programs are conducted within an environment of financial viability and regulatory compliance.
- Create and support an environmental culture that is conducive to the implementation of organizational goals and achievement of the overall strategic plan.
- Collaborate with members of the executive management team and other organizational leaders to identify and implement appropriate operational strategies.
- Monitor internal processes and identify and employ the most efficient methods of running the organization.
- Ensure all organizational activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- Focus in business, philanthropic studies, public administration, marketing or other related fields with at least 8-10 years of progressive leadership, business or nonprofit administrative experience required.
- Must have a proven record of success against measurable objectives at previous companies/non-profits.
- A strong reputation for integrity and professionalism.
- Possess intellectual curiosity and a drive to excel.
- Strong performance management and evaluation capabilities including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability.
- Ability to build strong relationships both inside and outside UWGKC, to think strategically, and to foster an inclusive environment consistent with UWGKC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Must have the ability to prepare, explain, and monitor performance.
- Manage a diverse group of volunteers, manage projects and workload, and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.