The United Way of Buffalo & Erie County is seeking a strategic, collaborative and performance focused individual for our Chief Operating Officer position. The Chief Operating Officer provides supervision, guidance, and leadership for Community and Nonprofit Engagement, Community Impact, and Grant Programs in fulfillment of the overall goals and performance of the organization guided by the strategic plan. This position reports to the President & CEO.
- Serves as a member of the Leadership Team providing direction and oversight on behalf of the organization.
- Supervises Community Impact Program Directors, Marketing Director, Volunteer Manager, Engagement Team Specialist, and grant initiative Program Directors.
- Leads the development of best in class diversity, equity, and inclusion practices throughout the United Way with a focus on impact and engagement work.
- Leads the design, development, and implementation of United Way’s role in support of the overall Community Impact agenda including investments and grants that support achievement of the organization's strategic objectives.
- Develops sustainable revenue sources and ensures that grants and sponsorships provide full cost recovery.
- Provides leadership for the development and adoption of inclusive marketing and communications strategies to maximize donor and community engagement as well as unrestricted giving to the United Way.
- Leads Community Engagement staff in the development of diverse volunteer and civic engagement opportunities to ensure that such efforts align with the United Way’s program goals and strategies.
- Provides direction and support for Board governance activities including but not limited to recruitment of diverse members, new member orientation, continuing education, and self-assessment.
- Evaluates effectiveness of team activities by collecting and analyzing data for use in continuous quality improvement.
- Engages in research on best practices in the field of community engagement, impact, and marketing to enhance the performance of the overall organization.
- Acts as spokesperson for the United Way including press work, public speaking, community education, and presentations.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises a diverse team of staff, volunteers, and community experts for full execution of community impact, engagement, and related activities.
- Represents the organization at various local, regional, and national functions to secure broad based support for local activities and shares such information cross divisionally to assist in carrying out organizational goals and objectives.
- Assumes responsibility for special projects and interdivisional efforts and assists the President by representing them as requested.
- Attends organizational, departmental and committee meetings and training to complement functional responsibilities.
- Visibly demonstrates United Way Values of agility, equity, service, integrity, collaboration, and accountability.
- Performs general office duties as required.
- Engages in job-related travel to designated meetings and events.
- Maintains established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Education, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with ten (10) years of senior leadership/management experience or MBA/advanced degree with five (5) years of senior leadership/management experience.
- Excellent cultivation skills and ability to engage and influence a variety of diverse professionals, groups, and individuals; strong interpersonal style with exceptional listening, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to represent UWBEC with major professional, business and community organizations.
- Ability to create basic infrastructure and knowledge base to support an evolving customer relationship management and product development environment, with emphasis on customer data and impact measurements; experience in developing and implementing continuous cross-functional improvements.
- Success in handling major priorities in a fast-paced environment; ability to handle ambiguity and nuances; well-organized with strong follow-up and follow-through; and ability to leverage limited resources.
- Proven track record in developing diverse, strong, cohesive, and high-performance teams; excellent managerial skills to assess, coach, mentor, train, and inspire; strong ability to integrate and lead cross-functional efforts.
- Strong demonstrated leadership skills, with excellent project and process management expertise; broad assessment and analytical skills with a solutions orientation; ability to manage big picture efforts as well as the detail in an environment of competing priorities.
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of diverse communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impact and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including public speaking skills.
- Experienced with and able to demonstrate proficiency in the following tools: Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2016 or later, Google G Suite, CRM databases.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.