Chief Marketing Officer
United Way of Greater Atlanta (UWGA) is launching an exciting new strategy to accelerate and scale its mission to drive sustainable and equitable improvements in the well-being of children, families, and individuals in greater Atlanta. The strategy has several major components. Two of those components require sophisticated and capable marketing talent. First, UWGA needs to heighten familiarity in the Greater Atlanta community of the positive impact UWGA has on tens of thousands of individuals and families, that is, renewed and refreshed brand familiarity generally across UWGA’s service footprint which encompasses almost six million people. Secondly, in a departure from its traditional employee fundraising campaign, UWGA is increasing its focus on reaching greater Atlanta consumers directly, meeting them where they are with a heightened focus online. Both strategies will be substantially driven by and through digital tools and channels. This position entails building the capabilities and leadership to engage digitally and directly with an untapped next generation of donors and to reimagine the marketing function within the organization so that marketing will be positioned to help lead the organizational transformation. This transformation will unleash the next generation of UWGA, putting us on a growth pathway that will significantly amplify our impact by increasing our investment in solutions that can make a lasting difference for Child Well-Being in Greater Atlanta.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is an expert in both traditional media and digital marketing and someone who is excited to innovate in new and untraditional ways to connect with existing, lapsed, and potential new donors. This role is a unique opportunity to assess UWGA’s current marketing mix and to experiment with new ways to showcase our mission and impact. The CMO will oversee an in-house team focused on strategy, while managing an agency of record partnership to efficiently and expertly execute strategic organizational priorities. The selected individual thrives in uncertainty, is an effective and influential team builder, and is excited by the challenge of testing, analyzing, and deploying new solutions in service of growth and social impact. The CMO must have (i) demonstrated success building brands, (ii) advanced capabilities and knowledge of digital marketing tools and channels, and (iii) strong leadership and team building skills. This person will sit on the seven person President’s Cabinet with the CEO, COO, Chief Financial and People Officer, Chief Data Officer, Chief Development Officer, and Chief Community Impact Officer.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
• Bachelor's degree or higher in marketing or a related discipline
• A total of 14+ years of experience in Marketing and Media, with 4+ years in a Leadership role
• Experience leading, developing and executing omni-channel strategies across both acquisition and retention.
• Demonstrate a knack for aligning cross-functional teams towards a unified marketing and brand strategy vision.
• Belief in the power of stories and capabilities in capturing, curating, and telling stories.
• In-platform experience managing campaigns across Paid Search, Social, and/or Programmatic channels along with Email Marketing
• Demonstrated thought leadership and experience communicating and collaborating with executive stakeholders.
• Excellence leading both brand and performance marketing programs, with a deep understanding of the metrics that matter.
• Performance driven with exceptional quantitative and problem-solving skills; ability to dig into data and mastery around KPIs including CAC, ROI, LTV
• Experience driving the process and governance needed to achieve speed to value and enable an agile marketing team.
• Proven expertise in being driven by the consumer and customer, their behaviors, motivations, and needs.
• Lead the development of our marketing acquisition and retention strategies, working to broaden our patron base, while deepening our relationship with donors, directing a range of content and touchpoints (from campaigns to donor updates to community events)
• Act as a persuasive advocate for marketing, cultivating strong partnerships and support at all organizational levels including our executive stakeholders and marketing committee.
• Lead organizational change by influencing teams to embrace innovative approaches, leveraging data to drive decisions, and creating a continuous cycle of testing to learn.
• Manage an internal team of strategic leaders across Digital Marketing, Content, Communication and Public Relations to prioritize and managing the day-to-day marketing needs of UWGA and working towards our greater goals.
• Aid in the design and implement a process for the development and review of communications / donor touchpoints managed by the internal UWGA team.
• Develop a targeted audience approach for our business objectives, aligning campaign and channels strategies to our growth goals.
• Grow our brand familiarity and equity by ensuring a cohesive content strategy and consistent positioning across all channels.
• Lead and direct the Marketing Committee, a sub-committee of the Board.
• Own our strategic partner / agency relationships, creating seasonal and evergreen lead generation campaigns, as well as a comprehensive retention and engagement strategy.
• Collaborate with partners / agencies to generate content that will showcase value proposition to drive action through identified target audiences across media channels, using past performance insights and channel best practices.
• Imagine, refine, and curate efficient and effective content management system(s)
• Develop and manage the marketing budget, allocating resources effectively to achieve the maximum return on investment, and oversee expenditures for campaign development and execution.
• Define the key performance indicators to measure engagement, brand familiarity, perception, and success of our channel and overall communications, making data-driven adjustments, and expanding our knowledgebase of our audiences and insights.
• Prepare regular reports on the performance of priority initiatives to executive team and beyond, with recommendations, actionable insights and next steps based on seasonality, trends, and goals.
• Recommend additional platforms or technology partners needed to unlock new growth, channels, and/or media efficiency.
• Bring knowledge of CRM and tracking / tagging processes to ensure clean data collection, performance reporting, and segmentation across media channels using industry and privacy best practices.
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Has a growth mindset, and is interested in joining a team that is actively redesigning UWGA’s ways of working to innovate fundraising for the modern era
• Cares deeply about community, equity, and humanity
• Is comfortable and excited by the opportunity to reimagine the future of donor acquisition and relationships, bringing the rigor of Direct-to-Consumer Marketing and/or an Ecommerce mentality to the non-profit sector.
• Is obsessed with solving problems, and has a deep understanding of customer behaviors, motivations, and needs.
• Has a working knowledge of the structures, governance, and resources needed to create a marketing and content engine
• Looks to experiment with every touchpoint, see opportunity to test and learn.
• Can translate insights into actions, using data to inform decisions.
• Tenacious, resourceful, and determined; overcome obstacles and operate with urgency.
• A strong team player who prioritizes collaboration — has a “we before me” mindset and builds trust through candid, respectful, productive discourse.
• Is an avid learner, adaptable to change, and agile for incorporating new methodologies or insights into plans and strategies
Required degree level
Years of experience
- More than 10 years of experience