Position Summary: The Chief Marketing Officer is responsible for the strategic planning for and integration of brand goals, objectives and strategies as well as for the strategic marketing, communications and public relations for the United Way of Metropolitan Nashville.
Essential Functions: The following are indicative of the essential functions required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This profile is not intended to be all inclusive of tasks and responsibilities required; it provides a description of the critical responsibilities associated with this position.
Chief Marketing Officer Tasks
- Participates as a member of the Leadership Team to provide a united, visible, and strong leadership presence across the organization to help instill new thinking, focus and prioritize efforts, operationalize the organization’s strategic plan, and integrate Resource Development and Community Impact.
- Provides support and professional leadership to the Leadership Team and all staff in:
- The integration of marketing, impact, investment, evaluation and communications
- The development of effective community volunteer recruitment, training, support, retention and recognition practices with the Chief Development and Chief Impact Officers.
- Developing a system for grant making that matches community impact opportunities to the wishes of donors
- Manages and monitors budgets, data analysis, grant compliance and other financial oversight
- Responsible for the consistent brand-aligned presentation of the organization both internally and externally
- Develops an integrated strategic brand management plan tied to the overall strategic objectives of UWMN
- Conducts regular research on brand awareness and on donor and non- donor insights
Marketing and Communications
- Creates a Marketing Plan that supports the achievement of UWMN Strategic Plan and maintains the integrity of the UW brand image
- Establishes Public Relations goals and works with all available media to promote the UW message(s) and brand
- Develops an integrated year -round social media strategy and presence and assists Chief Development Officer with integration of the Digital Services Operating Group and Sales Force Philanthropy Cloud
- Develops with Resource Development and Community Impact sponsorship opportunities and material to support co-marketing opportunities
- Helps manage direct response fund raising with Chief Development Officer
- Develops organizational collateral material including videos and fundraising material in collaboration with Development and Impact
- Develops advertising program for traditional and social media outlets
- Serves as key spokesperson for the organization with the President and CEO and appropriate volunteers
- Provides goal-setting, visioning, leadership, and strategic direction for marketing staff and volunteers
- Supports and cultivates the professional growth and development of marketing staff
- Directs and manages marketing staff activities. Ensures that team members are invested in team activities and decisions and that the team works together to achieve organizational goals
- Guides, motivates, and participates in the training, professional development, and evaluation of direct and shared reports
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion and/or approval of organizational documents, including but not limited to performance reviews, professional development plans, goals and objectives, timesheets, expense and travel reimbursements, and ongoing documentation of performance accomplishments and areas requiring improvements
- Supervise consultants and volunteers
Acquire and Utilize Knowledge
- Updates skills regularly to enhance knowledge of community needs and resources
- Maintains knowledge of current and evolving community fundraising and investment trends, as well as economic, political, technical, and general trends that may impact community need and resources to respond
- Acquires knowledge of United Way Worldwide system and uses to further local work
- Maintains a support system of leaders across the region, state and the UW system
- Participates in the Digital Services Operating Group and Sales Force Philanthropy Cloud User groups
- Works with the UW team and volunteers to ensure positive and active communication of the resource development agenda, community impact and investment agenda, events, accomplishments and challenges including written reports
- Engages in community-wide and state-level presentations focused on UW’s mission, vision and community impact and investment agenda
- Engages in advocacy and policy work at all levels to create impact and investment opportunities and to demonstrate UW as an effective change agent
- Bachelor’s degree plus 8-10 years’ proven related experience
- Experience in the United Way System with a deep understanding of the value of fundraising for impactful investing is preferred
- Project management and supervisory experience
- Developed technical and analytical skills related to Marketing, advertising and public relations
- Demonstrated ability to increase revenue through implemented strategies and relationship building skills
- Communications, outreach and advocacy are key components of this position. This individual must exhibit strong interpersonal, oral, presentation, and written communication skills with an ability to relate to a diverse group of individuals or organizations in an effective manner
- Results driven, innovative, passionate and committed to the mission of UW
- Ability to provide leadership to, recruit, manage, develop and motivate staff and volunteers
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong database management skills, including fundraising software, inputting data, running reports and analyzing results
- A valid Driver’s License & proof of insurance
- Mission Driven: Focuses on needs and aspirations of the community by telling the “United Way story” to help others understand the importance of volunteer, advocate, and give
- Effective Communication: Ability to collaborate and effectively communicate through oral, written and technological means; actively listening, collaborating and expressing oneself clearly, to ensure those that need specific information acquire it; plan and deliver communication that makes an impact and persuades the audience; gives positive and encouraging recognition to those that have contributed
- Relationship Management: Builds relationships internally and externally through communication efforts with external funders, corporate partners, individual donors, community members, and organizational stakeholders in efforts to generate enthusiasm of UWMN’s work; demonstrates credibility in all interactions; and demonstrates the ability to effectively build a network of contacts by understanding what motivates individuals and organizations to grow and sustain funding
- Outcome Motivated: Creates and maintains high performance standards that capitalize on opportunities to build support for Education, Financial Stability and Health by developing relationships that drive results
- Brand Advocate: Conducts themselves in a manner that promotes integrity, trust and strong ethics, in order to protect the reputation and results of UWMN
- Team Player: Works cooperatively and collaboratively with others to achieve collective goals; shows commitment to the team’s purpose and goals by providing members critical information that helps drive success; works effectively with different personalities across a variety of social and professional situations
- Role Model: Employee is a role model for shared leadership and advocates for collective impact principles and processes.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Employee spends a lot of time seated; working at a desk in front of a computer monitor.
- Employee will be required to stand for long periods of time during outreach and trainings.
- Requires the employee to work externally in the community at times. This requires the employee to be able to drive to different locations.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee is required to stand, walk, climb, and balance.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items and work with the fingers and perform repetitive hand/wrist motions.
- Well-lighted, heated, and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.