When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is a fundamental part of our mission and a focus throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
The Chief Financial Officer is an integral member of the senior leadership team and as such has joint responsibility for the development and execution of organizational strategy and effectiveness. The CFO position oversees the execution of United Way of Northeast Florida’s (UWNEFL) fiduciary management strategy and leads a finance and operational team to develop and execute strategies that support UWNEFL’s community impact and resource development goals. This position will coordinate board-level committees and requires a leader who is tactical and strategic, with administrative and financial experience.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Drive all short and long-term financial planning and analysis-related activities, including:
- Providing timely and accurate analyses and financial reporting to ensure the highest level of financial oversight by executives and board members.
- Partnering with resource development team members, senior leadership team members, and their teams, to garner input, advice, and approval as appropriate.
- Ensuring that organizational plans provide for the financial liquidity and sustainability of the organization.
- Ensuring that investments meet the requirements of associated Board policies.
- Translating organizational priorities into multi-year budget, scenarios and narratives, identifying the resources and considerations underlying particular strategies using an equity lens.
- Building the capacity of all team members to understand UWNEFLs financial situation and approaches to revenue and expense planning.
- Supporting organizational efforts to use qualitative and quantitative data to learn, improve operations and partnership strategies, and make decisions.
- Integrating technology and technology-based solutions to improve processes and results.
- Managing board level committees around issues, trends and changes in UWNEFL’s finances.
- Maintaining strong communication, keeping the senior management team informed of issues related to cash flow, expenses to budget, and revenue projections.
- Modeling and promoting UWNEFL’s values of equity mindset, results, relationships, and continuous improvement.
- Manage and actively participate in month-end close cycle including accounts (pledge) receivable, bank reconciliations, accounts payable, and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Direct accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Hiring, training and retaining competent accounting, finance and information technology (IT) staff while leading high performing teams. Offer oversight and support of finance and IT team. Recommend improvements to ensure the integrity of financial information. Encourage continuous improvement to draw out cost and time consuming activities.
- Manage and oversee annual audit and 990 filing; Prepare monthly and quarterly internal and board-level financial reports.
- Manage annual budget process as well as on-going forecasts.
- Responsible for managing, presenting, and reporting out on financial and administrative information to the Audit and other related board committees.
- Oversee cash flow, investments, and retirement plan. Manage restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Ensure timely and accurate pledge processing, payment reporting, and designated gift reporting with emphasis on customer-centered communications.
- Ensure compliance across the organization with all applicable regulatory laws and financial reporting.
- Safeguard the organization’s assets, including the community fiduciary and brand trust.
- Ensure contracts, memorandums and similar commitments meet standards to protect the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles; CPA, MBA desired
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and ability to set applicable controls required
- Working knowledge of fund accounting and grant management experience preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present information and interact effectively with resource development, marketing, and senior leadership team
- Advanced Excel, database, and strong accounting systems understanding
- Experience using relational data bases and a strong understanding of customer relationship management systems desirable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Serenic Navigator, StratusLIVE CRM software, and Salesforce products desirable
- Previous experience in mid- to large United Way member organization a plus
- Must be able to communicate clearly, and exchange accurate information interpersonally or through communication devices.
Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Provides leadership, resources and focus to change lives in our community by creating sustainable improvements in education, income and health.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment. Presents information in a professional, accurate & effective manner.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Fosters and supports principles of the organization and protects reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.