GENERAL JOB INFORMATION
Chief Financial Officer
Reports To (Title):
Chief Operating Officer
Central Support Services
Date Last Reviewed:
July 28, 2017
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a valued member of the Senior and Operations Teams and reports to the Chief Operating Officer. S/he is a curious, innovative, inclusive, dynamic strategic and results-driven problem-solver responsible for overseeing and guiding the Finance and Human Resources teams, vendors for building and information technology management, and cross-functional project teams.
Essential Function 1:
Financial Resource Management
Lead accurate, effective and ethical management of organizational finances to support accomplishment of mission, vision and goals and to assure continued stakeholder confidence. To be demonstrated by managing cash flow, investments, assets, being a consultative resource for organizational decisions, internal control system management, and working with other departments and committees as needed. Provides oversight for payroll and accounts payable processes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Function 2:
Financial Reporting Management
Lead creation of accurate, strategic and effective budget development and internal financial management processes. Also be a resource for external presentations of financial information including grant application information and stakeholder communications as well as lead the development of external financial statements.
Essential Function 3:
Staff and Volunteer Management
Management of Finance and Human Resources staff as well as the Information Technology and Building Manager Contractors. Serve as staff contact for the Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees of the Board of Directors and of Finance Review Council of the Community Impact Committee
Essential Function 4:
Building/Information Technology Management
Provide oversight for building operational services to ensure the safety and security of staff and tenants. Oversee tenant relationships including contracts, vacancy management and renovations as needed. Oversee the Information Technology function including server maintenance and data security.
Essential Function 5:
Human Resources Administration Management
Provides oversight for the implementation and management of human resources policies and processes such as hiring, recruitment, benefits, professional development, training, and compensation and performance management system.
- Grant input, billing and oversight
- Risk management services including business insurance renewals and reviews
- Interface with external stakeholders including providing presentations and trainings and relationship-building
- Participates as a champion, project and/or member of organizational development teams as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- CPA required
- Minimum of 5 years of financial management experience preferably in a senior management role and preferably in a nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $10 million
- Experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting compliance and reporting
- Knowledge and understanding of Office of Management and Budget Circular A133 audits preferred
- Experience in or knowledge of human resources concepts including compensation, benefits, retirement, retention, and compliance matters.
- Experience working with information technology, building management and human resource staff
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organizational skills
- Ability to anticipate and recognize hurdles/obstacles and to broker collaborative problem-solving and issue resolution
- Facilitative leadership style
- Data-driven decision-making style
- Flexibility with change
- Ability to work in a fast-paced performance management culture
- Ability to work in a cross-functional and cross-divisional work environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial forecasting
- Knowledge of various financial investment instruments
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP)
- Understanding of macro and micro economic theories
- Understanding and value for key performance indicators
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office Suite required
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred
- Experience with Andar CRM system preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF JOB
- This job requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Worker must frequently use typical office equipment (telephone, copier, printer, fax, etc.).
- Worker sits most of the time.
- Worker communicates with constituents, clients, and/or partners by phone and in person.
- Routinely required to walk and frequently travel by car.
Primarily works in a climate controlled office-based setting.
Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.