Directs and oversees both the administration of internal organizational functions and operation of the financial system including, but not limited to: 1) maintenance of all fiscal records, 2) budget preparation, 3) timely preparation of financial reports and supporting schedules, 4) working closely with the Treasurer to develop accounting plans and policies, and 5) ensuring regulatory compliance with federal and state agencies.
The CFO is also responsible for employee benefits administration and oversight, providing support to the Finance, Technology and HR Committees as well as to the United Way staff. The CFO is also responsible for ensuring ongoing maintenance and updating of computer hardware and software and building relationships with donors, volunteers, agencies, banks, brokerage firms and other customers and vendors.
Reports directly to the President.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Manager of Processing and Operations
- Two Finance Associates
- Part-Time Technology Associate
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
As a small team-based organization, United Way associates are expected to work in a fluid and flexible environment. Achieving the organization’s goals is the responsibility of every associate. To this point, associates must possess the ability to manage multiple tasks within several areas of the organization. In addition, all associates interface daily with donors and volunteers. It is critical that United Way associates demonstrate a professional appearance, exemplary inter-personal skills and the highest ethical standards.
Staff the following board level committees: Finance Committee, Human Resource Committee, Audit Committee.
- Oversees and directs the funds, financial records and reports, accounting, budgets, annual audit, tax return filings, purchasing, building management, pledge processing and risk management activities for the organization.
- Directs the Finance Associates in implementing procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate internal accounting controls and services.
- Directs the financial activities of the organization. Acts as the custodian of funds, monitors securities, and assets of the organization. Responsible for investment of excess cash and restricted reserves.
- Reviews the organization’s financial position and issues monthly financial and operating reports to Finance Committee and department heads.
- Supports President in directing, coordinating and preparing the organization’s budget.
- Analyzes, consolidates, and directs accounting procedures together with other statistical and routine reports.
- Directs, analyzes and interprets reports of general economic, business and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s policies and operations.
- Works with CPA firm on annual audit, responsible for internal control procedures necessary to obtain clean audit opinion and management report from auditors.
- Reviews contracts and other legal documents prior to execution, obtaining professional legal counsel where necessary.
- Provide necessary financial and accounting guidance and support to each department.
- Responsible for tracking and monthly/quarterly reporting of all grant/program income and expenses.
- Responsible for regulatory compliance with all federal, state and local reporting deadlines.
- Maintains all organization databases and supervises data entry of campaign pledges, receipts and designations.
- Manages the procedures and protocols for the hiring, disciplining and termination of employees, and the maintenance of personnel files.
- Administration of the health, disability and life insurance programs of United Way and its participating agencies. Including periodic review and bidding of coverages.
- Responsible for building and officer and director insurance coverage.
- Responsible for staff adherence to United Way policies and procedures and maintaining the employee policy manual.
- Responsible for maintaining bonding for the unemployment account.
- Responsible for filing worker’s compensation claims along with bidding out to different groups for our worker’s compensation insurance.
- Maintain SEP plan.
- Directs and works with the Part-Time Technology Associate to maintain all aspects of technology. Includes system maintenance, equipment and software updates and replacements.
- Provides daily troubleshooting of all technology systems when Part-Time Technology Associate is not available.
- All other duties as assigned
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related business area, or equivalent experience. A CPA and/or MBA desirable.
- Five years of work experience in a finance position, preferably with supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated skills in A/P, A/R, taxes, financial management, data management, FASB regulations.
- Ability to define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Non-profit or high-volume consumer-based experience preferred.
- Ability to use latest technological concepts in the business and accounting and campaign fields including proficiency in Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Possess a valid diver’s license and insured motor vehicle.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.