United Way of Northern New Jersey is seeking a seasoned leader to join our senior leadership team in a newly created position as chief experience officer (CXO).
This executive will report to the chief executive officer and will lead all public-facing functions that impact how the world engages with our United Way. This position is responsible for oversight of the entire customer journey, ensuring delivery of consistent, compelling, and relevant experiences with United Way focused on driving impact, growth, and the betterment of the communities we serve. Success will be defined by purposeful and positive interactions for individuals, corporations and institutional donors, volunteers, partners, volunteers, board members, clients, and staff.
The establishment of this position represents our cultural shift toward a customer-focused culture to deliver a personalized experience with the United Way brand. The CXO will support and contribute to the delivery of the vision and mission of the organization by:
- Leading a team charged with creating and executing a disciplined and comprehensive donor, partner, and community experience
- Creating an organizational strategy for positive customer experience, seamlessly integrating the functions of fundraising, brand, revenue, digital, and marketing and communications
- Designing a system to track and measure outcomes and progress toward goals
- Map existing customer experience, depicting the stages customers go through when interacting with United Way with an eye for gaps that inhibit a positive experience.
- Design and deliver positive experiences, prioritizing a customer's viewpoint in any decision-making processes. Develop a smooth flow for interactions between the United Way and our user base.
- Develop methods to gain insight from our constituents to better understand what they want from a philanthropic partner, preferred communication channels, and the ideal cadence for that exchange.
- Monitor customer interactions to ensure appropriate response to complaints, concerns, and suggestions.
- Provide leadership for efforts that ensure that user experience across all platforms - websites, apps and other technologies - is consistent and positive.
- Manage our brands – from local to national – and integrate brand strategy into new product development.
- Design and deliver positive experiences, prioritizing a customer's viewpoint in any decision-making processes.
- Serve as an organizational leader and champion for organizational values and mission. Increase customer and employee understanding of our brand and value.
- Oversee daily and strategic operations of the experience team—Brand, Fundraising, Digital, & Communications
- Provide leadership on revenue and expense tracking, program spending, and fiscal monitoring for the experience team budget in the context of the organizational budget.
- Work closely with the senior leadership and the staff equity workstream to create and communicate policies and programs that promote company culture and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment where team members of all identities feel a sense of belonging.
The ideal candidate will possess the confidence and skills to set strategy and lead employees of all levels of the organization in this shift toward a focus on building positive public experiences with our brand, including:
- Passion for United Way and ALICE to lead and champion our message, brand, and value proposition
- Proven experience in a managerial or executive role
- Ability to lead in a constantly evolving environment
- Big-picture thinker
- Demonstrated competency in strategic planning, fundraising & development, and online engagement
- Proven experience in process improvement and project management
- Outstanding organizational abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Background in operations, marketing, sales, customer service, or user-experience
- Experience with intellectual copyright and trademarks a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
United Way of Northern New Jersey is striving for racial and economic equity for ALICE individuals and families and those living in poverty. We do this by assessing the needs and rallying the community to address the barriers that are keeping struggling families from achieving financial and personal success.
United Way of Northern New Jersey owns and operates a national research project called United For ALICE. The data generated by United For ALICE is used to inform impact strategies developed by staff and project partners to address the needs of this financially vulnerable population. United Way of Northern New Jersey utilizes the ALICE data to build a stronger northern New Jersey community — where workers earn enough to meet their needs, can build a personal safety net to weather a crisis, and have access to quality care for vulnerable family members.
United Way mobilizes the caring power of communities to advance the common good. We improve lives and community conditions by evaluating needs, developing solutions, raising funds, convening partners, and mobilizing citizens to act.
Our Commitment to Economic and Racial Equity:
At United Way, we are bringing diverse people together through our Board of Trustees, staff, and volunteers to more effectively address the toughest issues that face our communities. And we are working to address the racial inequities that exist as we champion the most vulnerable households in our region — ALICE families and those in poverty.
As we work together with partners partners across the state and country to establish a post-COVID society, United Way of Northern New Jersey is focused on the most basic and critical issue of our time – ensuring economic equity and social justice for every person in our community. We believe that improving life for all starts with improving life for ALICE.