Chief Executive Officer
Trident United Way's
Mission states that we are a Catalyst for Measurable Community Transformation in Education, Financial Stability and Health.
Our vision is simple, we are The Leader in Uniting Our Community to Improve Lives.
Trident United Way's
Staff and volunteers are devoted to developing the financial and human resources necessary to do this transformational work. We know the importance and value of our Human Capital and are deeply committed to enhancing our corporate culture, while serving our community, with every new hire. We hope that you want to join our progressive and committed organization, so please, do not hesitate and apply today.
Trident United Way and its employees seek a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. Trident United Way defines a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace as one where all employees and volunteers, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or identity, age, education, disability or veteran status feels valued and respected. Trident United Way is committed to a nondiscriminatory approach toward employment and investment. Trident United Way will provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all departments. It will seek community feedback to ensure community investments are pursued through a lens of equity. Trident United Way respects and values diverse life experiences and ensures that all voices are heard to inform our work.
Trident United Way is committed to modeling diversity and inclusion in the nonprofit sector and to maintaining an environment of inclusiveness and equitable treatment for all.
Trident United Way
In 2021 we have won the Silver Award in the Charleston Healthy Business Challenge. In March 2020 we have been recognized by Working Well, an affiliation of the SC Hospital Association, for our benefits supporting the Financial and Emotional & Mental Wellbeing of our employees and have been awarded the Platinum Award in both categories.
Trident United Way
Participates in the Employers of National Service Network, alumni of AmeriCorps, SeniorCorps and PeaceCorps programs are encouraged to apply!
Trident United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer with an employee base of 36-40 FTE's. We offer a full range of benefits to Full Time (FT) employees: 401(k), Health (HDHP or PPO option), HSA, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability (STD & LTD), Sick/Personal/Vacation days along with nine (9) paid holidays.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at TUW will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. TUW does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics.
Youtube video: What is United Way?
United Way was once again ranked America's #1 Charity by the Chronicle of Philanthropy in 2019
Would like to see more about Trident United Way?
Check out our website here and don't forget to subscribe to our social media channels.
Review our Community Investments via our tableau dashboard, here.
View our impact report here.
We are looking forward to your application!
Trident United Way is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit, founded in 1944 and incorporated in the state of South Carolina. Its mission is to catalyze measurable transformation in education, health and financial stability for the people of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties – known as the Tri-County area. With a vision to be the leader in uniting our community to improve lives, Trident United Way serves as the regional backbone for work utilizing the ‘collective impact’ discipline to effect systems-level change in education, health and financial stability. In this way, Trident United Way builds upon multi-sector collaborations to address complex issues that no single entity could solve alone. More information can be found at www.tuw.org
Entrepreneurial and innovative, Trident United Way brings together a wide range of corporations, foundations, non-profits and individual citizens to achieve shared community goals. With 77-years of deep, local knowledge, Trident United Way specializes in building community and regional partnerships to address root cause challenges and build solutions in tandem with the community.
Currently, Trident United Way works with a network of almost 600 non-profit partner organizations across the region. Partners help accelerate critical work, bringing unique perspectives and expertise to advance efforts in education, health and financial stability across the region and beyond. United Way is the largest and most trusted brand in global philanthropy.
Governed by a prestigious board of corporate, academic, health and policy leaders, Trident United Way convenes advisory bodies and networks to share knowledge and resources to form effective solutions to our community’s most pressing needs. Trident United Way serves as an advocate and a catalyst for opportunities to expand, deepen and amplify positive community impact.
WHAT WE VALUE
Integrity - We are proactive, intentionally honest and do the right thing even when no one is looking. We are responsible stewards, accountable and transparent to the community and each other.
Respect - We treat others with dignity, fairness and trust. We encourage discussion without judgment.
Equity - We value each person's visible and invisible distinctions and strive to create fair and just systems and opportunities for all.
Collaboration - We serve as both a leader and a supporter. We value team approaches and are driven by our ability to build relationships across partners and in our community.
Innovation - We are bold, curious and open to new ideas. We drive forward creatively to address the community's most pressing issues.
We believe our core values define and guide the culture and character of our organization. They are the standards which guide us as individuals and that collectively determine how we fulfill this mission.
The President/CEO is the leader of a mission-driven United Way, where staff and volunteers are passionate, focused, and aligned to achieve goals. They establishe a vision for Collective Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers. They are responsible for expressing and delivering on the mission, vision, and goals adopted by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO is the Chief Mobilizer, not day-to-day manager; they leverage the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors building partnerships and relationships that improves conditions in the community and inspires community-wide action to address priority areas of need.
The President/CEO possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The President/CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. They ensure Trident United Way has credibility and functions as a trusted partner throughout the Lowcountry and ensures the organization maintains a reputation for integrity, transparency, and accountability.
The President/CEO is the steward of brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. They are responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. They value network and strive to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy. Nothing in this job description restricts Board of Directors’ right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities in accordance with the by-laws to this position at any time.
Specifically, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for:
- The President/CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors by giving strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. They partner with the Board of Directors and gives direction to the internal leadership team to develop organizational goals and strategies that align to the organization’s strategic direction. They cultivate a strong and transparent relationship with the Board, while working with the Board to build a diverse and inclusive Board membership that is representative of the community, is highly engaged, and willing to secure and leverage resources.
- The President/CEO is key to convening the Board and internal leadership team to set the direction for community impact that best serves the current need of the Tri-County area. They serve as the managing director that ensures the organization is aware and aligned to the key service needs in all three counties and formulating that into a concise plan that is guided by the principles of the three pillars. They are then keenly aligned with external resources to thoughtfully be sure we are using our fundraising efforts and talent to align to the greatest Community Impact needs. In doing so, they take current fiscal year and strategic plan needs into consideration to be sure all Community Impact efforts are clearly outlined and able to be articulated to donors, the Board and the community.
- The President/CEO is charged with ensuring the financial viability of the organization, through the volunteer and staff structure, by meeting the resource development needs of the organization. They identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities. They ensure the implementation of comprehensive marketing and branding strategies that provide consistent messaging that enhances the organization’s reputation and ability to raise revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations.
- The President/CEO is accountable for leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. They provide leadership that models organizational values and that sustains a productive organizational culture. The President/CEO ensures Trident United Way’s goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- The President/CEO maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO ensures the necessary organizational capacity exists to implement identified strategies. They supervise, establish individual goals, and support professional development of the internal leadership team. They work with the internal leadership team to mitigate risks and set annual operating budget.
- Minimum BA degree. Master’s degree preferred
- 15 years overall professional experience, 8 years working in the nonprofit sector interacting with volunteers and diverse board; or 20 years experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission
- 5 years United Way experience preferred
- 10 years experience developing partnerships, building high-performing teams and conflict management.
- 10 years experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders
- A high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems
- A fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives
- A long-term perspective that can lead the build and execution of a strategic plan while bringing all stakeholders along in the process
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands their role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, collaboration, and performance among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Division: Central Support Services
This is a management position
This is a full time position
Visit Careers at Trident United Way
Subscribe to be notified of new jobs
Share this job