Chief Equity Officer
Employer: United Way of Greater Knoxville
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Date Created/Modified: 2/3/2021
The Chief Equity Officer is an important new addition to the UWGK leadership team. In this role, your primary responsibility is to lead through influence and advance UWGK’s internal evolution to a more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. You will also be tasked with recommending, developing, implementing and managing both internal and external diversity related strategies.
We strive to embed intersectional equity into our DNA. We seek a leader that will ensure racial equity work is reflected in the goals and objectives of every department/division within the organization. This new position is critical to the achievement of this goal.
United Way of Greater Knoxville is a vibrant organization committed to mobilizing the caring power of the communities we serve in ways that benefit us all. Led by a dynamic leadership team, we have tremendous opportunities for growth and transformation. Due to the changing nature of our work, we are seeking relationship-driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented individuals to join our team. We enthusiastically encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
United Way of Greater Knoxville is committed to listening, learning, and amplifying the voices of our Black and Brown neighbors. We acknowledge that racism and discrimination, both implicit and explicit, exist in our community and present significant barriers to the achievement of economic well-being and quality of life for many in the communities we serve. We are opposed to overt and covert racism and discrimination in all its form. We will bring our resources, influence, and convening leverage to the table to address systems that limit opportunity for a disproportionate and growing number of people of color in Knoxville. While we cannot promise perfection, we are committed to accelerating progress toward intersectional diversity, equity and inclusion as individuals, as an organization, and as an active community leader. This position faces internally and externally into the community.
- Develop goals, strategies, and performance measures for making UWGK and our community work more inclusive. Serve as a resource in how to use policies and procedures to promote and implement diversity and inclusion practices. Provide technical assistance, training, and tools.
- Develop key performance indicators to monitor progress on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Collaborate with stakeholders to lead, assess, develop, implement measure, and continuously improve key initiatives/programs to achieve cultural diversity, racial equity, and inclusion objectives.
- Partner with internal departments to share best practices in DE&I, strategize to determine the best way to move forward with a DE&I perspective and communicate UWGK’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion strategy.
- Provide leadership in the nonprofit sector and represent UWGK with external partners. Identify partnerships and strategic alliances that add value and leverage resources available to support the community.
- Participate in important external business and cultural diversity, equity and inclusion activities and events consistent with UWGK’s outreach and corporate responsibilities initiatives.
- Lead efforts related enhancing and nurturing United Way’s reputation as a diversity leader, while respecting and honoring other diverse organizations that champion our shared values and success in this arena.
- Develop and maintain knowledge base on current emerging social trends, community concerns, and political and service delivery issues in the communities we serve.
- Develop and operationalize the vision and strategy, aligned with UWGK’s mission, values, and business strategy to increase diversity and create inclusivity across UWGK people and programs. Identify and minimize the impact of any potential systematic and other barriers to diversity and authentic inclusion.
- Partner with the CFO to infuse cultural diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy into the talent processes (i.e. recruitment, onboarding, performance management, programming/training, talent retention strategies, etc.)
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Professional Skills and Additional Responsibilities
- Ability to build relationships, manage stakeholder expectations, and influence staff and community partners.Demonstrated commitment to the community.
- A strategic and thoughtful approach to decision-making. Proven ability to thrive in fast paced environment and engage in spirited, debate around issues.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholder expectations while driving toward organizational goals.
- Demonstrated track record of vision creation, strategy development, and successful plan execution.
- Experience successfully managing relationships internal and external to the organization and at all levels of organizations (big and small, non-profit, and corporate, board level to entry level).
- Demonstrated organizational skills with proven program management capabilities; ability to work on multiple, key projects in parallel.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, meeting deadlines, compliance with budget, and goal obtainment. Organizational skills with proven program management capabilities; ability to work on multiple, key projects in parallel.
- Flexibility to manage resources and time in response to shifting priorities.
- Experience leveraging data and analytics to develop insights and drive decision-making.
- Ability to problem-solve as part of the Leadership Team which provides strategic and operating leadership for the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to bring people along.
Duties require planning, organizing, and performing a variety of duties applying a wide range of procedures and rules. Duties require attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, reliability, timeliness, alertness, and use of judgment. Also requires writing ability, creativity, and concentration. Access to and use of confidential data where discretion/sensitivity is of utmost importance. Mature judgment and confidence.
These job responsibilities are to be the main emphasis of this position. As with every job at United Way, it is not possible to define jobs precisely. Should the need exist, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to assure an efficient and cooperative environment.
Experience, Qualifications, and Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree
- Advanced degree or DE&I certification helpful but not required.
- Proven ability to create, lead, and implement successful DE&I strategies. At least 5 years of related experience preferred.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case by case basis
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer