United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in changing the world and giving everyone in our community the opportunity to live their best life.
In our area 74% of people identify as white; 18% identify as Hispanic; 4% identify as Asian; 2% identify as Black; and 1% identify as Pacific Islander. In some of the communities in our region most impacted by poverty, however, only 50% identify as white. At present, our staff is 75% white; 15% Latinx; and 10% other race. There are no people of color on our management team. At present, our board is 78% white and 22% other race. We are acting on measurable plans to have our staff and board better represent the diversity of our region.
We commit to seek out and learn from those impacted by racism and to work together to dismantle racism in our community and to continuing to build and strengthen partnerships that close disparity gaps. As a member of our management team, you will shape and sustain our commitment to racial and ethnic equity. You will lead and collaborate with others to help to shape our inclusion efforts broadly speaking. You will be a fit for this position if you have experience shaping organizational cultures in the space of equity, care deeply about achieving results via partnerships, and are motivated by creating a workplace where everyone experiences joy and purpose. You will not have any direct reports, but you will help shape the priorities for our data, technology, and training/HR teams and be able to draw on the talent and time of members of those and other teams to complete your work.
- Mold an organization where belonging is a measurable indicator of our values.
- Oversee the strategy and execution of our equity strategy and goals.
- Co-design efforts to center equity in the organizational strategic plan.
- Advise hiring teams on inclusive frameworks, strategies, and performance measures, including solutions to attract, recruit, develop, and retain a diverse workforce.
- Develop and implement employee learning activities that support equity and inclusion.
- Advise team members on how to include diversity, equity, and inclusion in their own work.
- Communicate progress with our team and partners. Work with our marketing team to share internal and external information.
- Participate in proposal development, reporting, and donor cultivation that relate to equity work.
- Build the capability of our team, our board, and our partners to center population level accountability and racial and economic equity in all they do.
- Build the capability of our backbone facilitators to lead conversations about equity and move their partnership strategies forward.
- Build and strengthen relationships with organizations led by people of diverse backgrounds. Work collaboratively to figure out how we align our efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience; Master’s degree preferred
- Professional experience working on racial equity issues, with increasing levels of responsibility
- Ability to facilitate conversations about racism and racial healing that inspire meaningful and collective action. Comfort and experience in moving others to action around building a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Proven ability to develop, facilitate, and champion equity initiatives (within an organization and/or within a community or partnership setting).
- Experience and passion for using data to make decisions and help people align shared goals.
- Passion for learning and using new data systems and processes
- Strong conflict resolution and mediation skills
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
The team member is regularly required to communicate clearly, and exchange accurate information interpersonally or through communication devices. Must be able to learn new systems and procedures, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The position requires occasional movement throughout the office to access files, papers, or move supplies weighing up to 25lbs. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
The position is full-time, exempt with complete benefits. Salary to commensurate with experience.
Please visit UWSL’s Career Center. A complete application will include a resume and cover letter that speaks to how they view equity, diversity and inclusion. You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding employment opportunities.