As the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer, you will be a key contributor to expediting and advancing U.S. and worldwide diversity, equity and inclusion strategy by recommending, developing, implementing, and managing both internal and external diversity related strategies, partnerships, programs, and initiatives. Responsibilities include: benchmarking efforts against other non profit and for profit organizations considered to be leaders in the area of diversity/inclusion. In this position, you will provide recommendations to inform, improve, and train U.S. and global workforce to emphasize culturally competent working relationships, and providing worldwide leadership to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
As the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer, you will work closely with United Way Worldwide/U.S. and other Network members, including all leadership, volunteers, philanthropic, corporate, government, NGO leaders, general donor public, and Network region leadership as a representative of our organizations’ focus on inclusion. Also will work closely with People Strategies, Learning & Development , Community Impact, and Marketing teams.
Must be able to align diversity work with organizational goals to assist our United Way’s effort to positively impact the communities we serve.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Develop goals, strategies, and performance measures for making United Way Worldwide and United Way Network more inclusive. Serve as a resource in using policy and procedures to promote and implement diversity, equity and inclusion practices. Provide technical assistance, training and tools.
- Provide leadership in the nonprofit sector and represent United Way with external partners. Identify partnerships and strategic alliances that add value and leverage resources available to support the worldwide Network.
- Develop and maintain knowledge base on current emerging social trends, community concerns, and political and service delivery issues in the U.S. and global environment. Lead UW Network employee engagement team to evaluate their needs and levels of support needed in their work in the diversity, equity and inclusion areas.
- Contribute to the UWW and UW Network learning and knowledge by providing best practices and innovative solutions for diversity , equity and inclusion work. Through research, benchmarking, publications and events, deliver value to members on strategies on how to implement, grow, measure and create "first in class" diversity , equity and inclusion programs.
- Lead the creation of goals, strategies and performance measures that lead to more diverse talent acquisitions, development and retention among staff and volunteers within United Way Worldwide and the United Way Network.
- Provide leadership and support to teams working on the development of affinity groups/ employee resource groups and strategic segments through virtual meeting platforms. Encourage the utilization of multi-cultural teams to drive diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives which requires an understanding of cultural differences and an appreciation for emerging markets.
- Serve as subject expert resource for others in United Way Worldwide and United Way Network relating to Global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion change processes.
- Lead efforts related to applying for various external awards and/or completing external surveys in order to enhance United Way’s reputation as a diversity leader. Identify external recognition and presentation opportunities to highlight and share United Way’s efforts relating to Diversity,Equity and Inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
United Way Worldwide/U.S. and other Network Members, including all leadership, volunteers, philanthropic, corporate, government, NGO leaders, and the general donor public. Network region leadership and volunteers. Closely tied to Human Resources, Talent, Learning, Investor Relations, Community Impact, and Marketing Groups.
- Bachelor's Degree (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Diversity Recruitment Certification or DEI certifications
- 10+ year’s of senior level work in diversity and inclusion in a leadership role
- Minimum of five years previous work in a diversity-related tactical work (e.g., human resources, organizational assessment; strategic planning; development, implementation or management of diversity initiatives; diversity training or facilitation experience)
- Proven success in developing and implementing diversity strategies
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent facilitation, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. Thank you.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.