The Chief Development Officer (CDO) serves as a vital member of United Way’s Senior Leadership Team reporting directly to the President and CEO, partnering closely with peers and Board Members to devise and execute an integrated fundraising strategy to grow philanthropic revenue. The CDO will spearhead efforts to support a robust research portfolio designed to continuously broaden and diversify United Way’s funding base.
- Member of organizational Senior Leadership Team, responsible for setting development strategy, making critical decisions central to performance, and ensuring organization’s long-term health
- Guide, approve and monitor the establishment and implementation of the division’s strategy
- Ensure the division is effectively structured to achieve approved goals and advance the division and organization’s strategy
- Identify and advocate for necessary staff and budget resources
- Ensure the quality of donor services to meet established resource development goals
- Ensure the creation of talent development and succession planning for the division
- Ensure collaboration, integration and alignment across division leaders, teams and shared service partners across United Way
- Coach, mentor and establish plans for professional development of direct reports and meet regularly to review deliverables and progress toward meeting established outcomes and goals.
- Actively steward relationships with United Way Worldwide and high performing local United Ways to both inform their creation and leverage the availability of best practices and products in areas of responsibility
- Actively participate in identified opportunities for professional growth, including supervisory and team meetings, trainings, and organization-wide events
- Contribute to the overall success of United Way by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned
All work contributes to the attainment of the following strategic plan initiatives:
- Clearly articulate and communicate United Way’s value proposition.
- Expand and diversify United Way’s base of support
- Increase Community Campaign visibility while driving expanded adoption and participation
- Cultivate and engage high net worth donors (HNW) to deepen their United Way relationship and giving through donor advised funds, major gifts and planned giving.
- Drive revenue growth above industry benchmarks
- Inspire giving from the United Way Board and Auxiliary Boards and other key volunteers/donors
- Guide individuals to help them achieve their personal social responsibility goals.
- Generate grant revenue from government, tax credits, foundation and HNW individuals for prioritized initiatives.
- Partner with Custom Strategies team working with companies/organizations to achieve CSR, philanthropic and community engagement goals.
- Partner with Custom Strategies team to increase the value and visibility of the Volunteer Center for corporate and community clients.
KSA (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience leading a development and/or advancement department for a nonprofit or institution of similar complexity with multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, sales, or communications; Master's degree preferred
- Demonstrated record of securing 6-8 figure gifts. Capital campaign experience a plus.
- Senior strategic leadership experience in the management of organizations of a similar size and mission, and interacting with diverse constituencies and boards
- Experience in event production across the fundraising spectrum, including prospect identification, sponsorship proposal creation and donor stewardship
- Has track record of collaboration and an unwavering commitment and accountability to a team, peers, and organizations
- Excellent coalition-building skills with an ability to write and communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus among differing opinions and perspectives
- A practical ability to get things done; the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills to enable sound decision-making
- Flexibility and managerial courage to shift direction and bring others along
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and experience as a compelling spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser
- Strong commitment to establishing a diverse and inclusive work environment with a goal of retaining talent
- Strong advocate for United Way and its philosophy, goals and role in the community
- Comfort in a fast paced, rapidly shifting and evolving workplace
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks in a matrixed organization structure
- High level of integrity with demonstrated ability to exercise tact and good judgment
- Excellent follow-up and follow-through skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and demonstrated ability to learn new donor giving and database management technology applications
United Way of Greater St Louis offers a comprehensive and extensive benefits plan including vacation, sick time, holidays, flexible holidays (personal days), health, dental, vision, and life insurance and an organization-matched 403(b) plan.