Valley of the Sun United Way
Chief Corporate Relations & Brand Officer
3200 E. Camelback Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85018
Valley of the Sun United Way (VSUW) is based in Phoenix, Arizona and serves Maricopa County. Since 1925, VSUW has impacted countless lives across Maricopa County by mobilizing the caring power of our community. United Way holds a unique role at the nexus of corporate, individual donor, foundations, government entities, non-profits and schools on the front lines in Maricopa County. Within the global United Way structure, VSUW is one of the largest nonprofits in the country and viewed as an innovator and collaborator in large, network wide national initiatives.
Throughout 2020, while leading local philanthropic response to COVID-19, VSUW led community conversations involving thousands of people to determine the most pressing issues facing the Valley as it rebuilds from the pandemic. Based on that community guidance, in March 2021, VSUW launched MC2026, a five-year plan to create Mighty Change in Maricopa County. MC2026 is built on the vision of a community where every child, family and individual is healthy, has a safe place to live, and has every opportunity to succeed in school, in life and in work. United Way believes there has never been a better time to make that happen and now is the time to band together and fight for a more equitable future for all. United Way will work with the community, corporate and nonprofit partners to achieve bold goals for Maricopa County in Health, Housing and Homelessness, Education and Workforce Development. As the largest nonprofit investor of health and human service programs in the Valley, United Way brings partners together from every sector – public, private, nonprofit – to do what no single organization can do alone: create solutions that transform individual lives and drive systemic change impacting entire communities.
Budget: $90 Million ($30 Million raised philanthropically, $60 Million from state contract and other sources).
The Chief Corporate Relations & Brand Officer will work closely with the Chief Community Development & Engagement Officer and will have shared responsibility for the $30 Million fundraising budget.
Reports to: Carla Vargas Jasa, Chief Executive Officer, who has over twenty years of United Way experience. In 2019, Carla relocated to Phoenix to lead Valley of the Sun United Way. Within that time, she has successfully led the organization through some of its most challenging times, including its community response to COVID-19 all while exceeding the organization’s revenue goals for the first time in 10 years. Because of the organization’s achievements during this time, the community has recognized the organization and Carla as a “2020 Leader of the Year” by the Arizona Capitol Times for its COVID-19 response and the “2021 Community Champion” by the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. Carla was named among the “2021 Most Influential Leaders” by the Phoenix Business Journal and one of the “Most Influential Women in Arizona Business of 2020” by AZ Big Media.
Direct Reports: The position leads a team of 4 direct reports and 26 professionals (1- VP of Donor Engagement & Analytics, 2- VP of Brand & Marketing, 3- VP of Corporate Relations, 4- Senior Director of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR))
The Chief Corporate Relations & Brand Officer is a member of the Executive Team and will lead VSUW’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy, the development of a continuum of corporate engagement opportunities,5-year engagement efforts, and co-branding aligned with the organizations’ s new MC2026 plan for prospective corporate partners. The CRBO is responsible for directing the evolution, creation and execution of how to strategically engage companies to drive employee giving, corporate gifts, and achieve the corporate social responsibility (CSR) goals of each respective company. Additionally, the CRBO will be responsible for overseeing and directing brand and marketing strategies for VSUW, including a 5-year brand strategy to improve VSUW’s brand awareness and perception as the “go to” organization to create and scale needed community solutions. This individual is required to design approaches for the full mix of business development; partner with the President/CEO, Executive Team, and Leadership Team to shape the vision of the organization; cultivate relationships at the highest levels of the Valley’s corporate community; strengthen stakeholder and investor engagement with the brand; and champion a highly talented staff. This position will create, develop, and execute diverse and complex strategies, influence how the business is managed, and sustain an environment in which successful relationship and resource cultivation can take place.
- Directs the evolution, creation, and execution of donor-centered fundraising, engagement, and brand and marketing strategies, including specific investor, stakeholder and customer segments, and for leading the integration of all branding and marketing activities for workplace campaigns and new products and services to be brought to market to better engage local corporations (e.g., Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud).
- Cultivate and sustain positive, productive relationships at the highest levels of the community, including boards, volunteers, community and business leaders, investors and stakeholders to build and sustain ongoing involvement and loyalty.
- Design and implement short - and long-term strategies and plans for corporate and workplace giving campaigns creating approaches that align with the company’s CSR and overarching objectives to retain, grow, and bring new and additional resources to ensure financial and MC2026 goals are met.
- Develop and manage the implementation of organizational year-round marketing and engagement strategies.
- Foster and cultivate a donor-centered culture that meets corporate partners and donors where they are and brings them closer to the community development work.
- Lead the exploration of targeted market and industry segments and the development of long-term strategies to build relationships with identified markets.
- Lead the implementation and integration of segmentation strategies for prioritized market segments within resource development to ensure organizational alignment.
- Lead key message development and guide leadership in response to crises/issues.
- Maintain expert knowledge of current and evolving corporate trends, resource development, investor, economic, political, legislative, technical, and general business trends that may affect VSUW results to aid in the calibration of overall organizational efforts.
- Oversee, manage, achieve and help develop departmental budgets and financial goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
A combination of education or relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations or a related field.
- At least ten (10) years of progressive leadership experience in non-profit including leading corporate relations, corporate gift solicitation, employee giving, corporate social responsibility and marketing & branding including donor relationship management, market segmentation and research, product development and delivery, resource development marketing, message development, advertising, public relations, and direct and e-marketing.
- At least five (5) years of supervisory experience, leading high performance teams.
- Technical experience in developing and executing multi-year business strategies.
Position Competencies and Key Actions
The successful candidate for this role should demonstrate the following competencies and key actions:
- Clearly defines and articulates a vision to acquire employee and stakeholder buy-in
- Maintains connections and communicates effectively with employees
- Develops strategies that are in alignment with the organization creating viable and sustainable results
- Recognizes collaborators’ strengths and weaknesses
- Gives credit to others for contributions
- Demonstrates a willingness to find solutions and problems in a collaborative fashion
- Expresses ideas effectively and empathetically
- Organizes and delivers information appropriately
- Listens to others and communicates in an effective manner
- Uses sound judgment to make good decisions based on information gathered and analyzed
- Considers all pertinent facts, goals, constraints, and risks before deciding on the most appropriate action
- Commits to decisions
- Promotes organizational mission and goals and shows the way to achieve them
- Structures and directs others’ work on projects and programs
- Manages employees in ways that improve their ability to succeed
Planning and Organizing
- Plans and organizes tasks and work responsibilities to achieve objectives
- Set priorities and schedules activities
- Allocates and uses resources properly
- Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect
- Maintains an open, approachable manner, and treats others fairly and respectfully
- Asks questions to identify shared interests, experiences, or other common ground
- Sees the big, long-range picture
- Analyzes options and decisions based on long-term outcomes
- Translates the organizational vision into clear strategies
- Enables employees to grow and succeed through feedback, instruction, and encouragement
- Willing to delegate responsibility, work with others, and coach to develop their capabilities
- Allows employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and resolve issues
- Displays energy and enthusiasm in approaching the job
- Commits to putting in additional effort
- Maintains high level of productivity and self-direction
Competitive executive compensation package commensurate with experience.
Location: 3200 East Camelback Road, Suite 375, Phoenix, Arizona, 85018-2328
With their own office space at the corporate location, this position has the option to work remotely on a flexible, hybrid model.
Why consider the opportunity?
- Join a proven innovator and top leader amongst United Ways that is recognized locally and nationally for its innovation, successes, strategies and collaborative efforts to create and implement intentional vision and responsiveness to today’s needs.
- Be an integral player in initiatives and strategies to ensure everyone in our community has access to food and healthcare, a safe home to call their own, and equal opportunity to prepare for education success and employment with pathways to better paying jobs.
- Dedicated to kicking down barriers and championing new ways of thinking, with a focus on diversity, equity, access, and inclusion is woven into each of their strategic goals in the areas of Health, Housing and Homelessness, Education, and Workforce Development.
- Opportunity to strategically contribute and implement newly formed 5-year strategic Plan – MC2026.
- Partner with almost 500 corporations, businesses and nonprofits, community leaders, and thousands of donors to create “Mighty Change” for people in Maricopa County.
- The CCRBO will lay the foundation and establish successful strategies for new corporate partner engagement while retaining and growing existing corporate partnerships, developing a strategic plan for the areas of corporate gifts, employee giving, and corporate social responsibility.
- Opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic, diverse executive leadership team who are positive and excited to be part of VSUW!
- Recipient of a recent unsolicited $25 Million MacKenzie Scott donation, which has catalyzed the launch of MC2026 and additional 5-year organizational growth goals.
- 95th Anniversary Event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4fr3r1J94&t=913s
- MC2026 Partnership Event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4gRn39Nqs
For more information, please contact:
Practice Leader, Non-Profit & Healthcare