Trident United Way is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit, founded in 1944 and incorporated in the state of South Carolina. Its mission is to catalyze measurable transformation in education, health and financial stability for the people of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties – known as the Tri-County area. With a vision to be the leader in uniting our community to improve lives, Trident United Way serves as the regional backbone for work utilizing the ‘collective impact’ discipline to effect systems-level change in education, health and financial stability. In this way, Trident United Way builds upon multi-sector collaborations to address complex issues that no single entity could solve alone. More information can be found at www.tuw.org
Entrepreneurial and innovative, Trident United Way brings together a wide range of corporations, foundations, non-profits and individual citizens to achieve shared community goals. With 77-years of deep, local knowledge, Trident United Way specializes in building community and regional partnerships to address root cause challenges and build solutions in tandem with the community.
Currently, Trident United Way works with a network of almost 600 non-profit partner organizations across the region. Partners help accelerate critical work, bringing unique perspectives and expertise to advance efforts in education, health and financial stability across the region and beyond. United Way is the largest and most trusted brand in global philanthropy.
Governed by a prestigious board of corporate, academic, health and policy leaders, Trident United Way convenes advisory bodies and networks to share knowledge and resources to form effective solutions to our community’s most pressing needs. Trident United Way serves as an advocate and a catalyst for opportunities to expand, deepen and amplify positive community impact.
WHAT WE VALUE
Integrity - We are proactive, intentionally honest and do the right thing even when no one is looking. We are responsible stewards, accountable and transparent to the community and each other.
Respect - We treat others with dignity, fairness and trust. We encourage discussion without judgment.
Equity - We value each person's visible and invisible distinctions and strive to create fair and just systems and opportunities for all.
Collaboration - We serve as both a leader and a supporter. We value team approaches and are driven by our ability to build relationships across partners and in our community.
Innovation - We are bold, curious and open to new ideas. We drive forward creatively to address the community's most pressing issues.
We believe our core values define and guide the culture and character of our organization. They are the standards which guide us as individuals and that collectively determine how we fulfill this mission.
The Chief Advancement Officer will help take Trident United Way to the next level of mission accomplishment. The right individual will work to fuel a fundraising environment commensurate with the scope, scale, complexity and entrepreneurial nature of current activities and aspirations going forward. In partnership with the Senior Management Team, the Chief Advancement Officer will enhance and grow a sustainable fundraising framework and communication strategy to support Trident United Way’s mission.
Key opportunities are to:
- Enhance and manage overall advancement strategy and evolution in an energizing, integrated and matrixed way
- Solidify and lead a best-in-class advancement framework that is inclusive of expanding opportunities for impact and innovation
- Develop an annual fundraising plan and budget narrative that aligns to the strategic plan.
- Diversification of revenue streams that include a growing number of high impact partnerships with increasing complexity, scope and management requirements
- Build awareness of Trident United Way and its mission in the local community and beyond
In support of these aspirations, Trident United Way seeks an advancement senior leader that is adept in working in a dynamic landscape.
Ideally, the new Chief Advancement Officer will bring significant leadership success from large, growing, multi-disciplinary organizations. They will bring proven ability to inspire, manage and nurture high performing teams and to develop a supportive, sustainable fundraising environment.
The Chief Advancement Officer is responsible for managing the private and public sector fundraising program for Trident United Way and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. They will develop and implement communication and fundraising strategies in support of the mission of Trident United Way and will work to achieve integration of mission messages within individual, corporate, and foundation giving opportunities. They will participate as a member of the senior management team and will work in concert with the President, the staff, members of the Board of Directors and volunteers to develop short- and long-term support. This individual will manage a team of advancement and communication professionals responsible for all aspects of communications and fundraising including key message development and platforms, individual fundraising, annual appeals, planned giving, public-private partnerships, special events, grant writing, stewardship, acknowledgement of gifts, and data base management and integrity.
This position involves extensive interaction with corporate executives, municipal and community leaders and philanthropists at the local, state and national levels. It also involves high-level interaction with national/regional corporations and the top tier of grant-making foundations. The Chief Advancement Officer must be a dynamic, persuasive, team-oriented individual who will work closely with Trident United Way colleagues and volunteers to build productive, long-term relationships with donors and stakeholders. Professional presence, creativity, diplomacy and personal drive are essential qualifications for the position. The Chief Advancement Officer serves as the chief tactical officer for overall advancement strategies for Trident United Way and is directly accountable for revenue generation, overall advancement strategy and all donor communications.
Specifically, the Chief Advancement Officer will be responsible for:
- Planning, developing, and implementing overall communications and fundraising strategies for Trident United Way
- Positioning and strengthening the brand as the leading local nonprofit and the best value for philanthropic investment
- Leading the Communications team to set a multi-year strategic brand plan that takes the brand image and positioning to new heights
- Ensuring all marketing efforts are strategic, aligned and laser focused on maximizing awareness of Trident United Way’s mission and efforts
- Realizing synergies across the Volunteer Engagement and Advancement teams so that volunteer and donor efforts are maximized
- Working with and staff the President and the Senior Management Team, the Board of Directors and volunteers to identify new opportunities for successful fundraising and set specific financial goals and objectives for the advancement program for annual growth
- Overseeing cultivation and solicitation of individual, corporate, foundation, and organizational donors, including strategies for donor engagement and special convenings, cultivation events, solicitation and recognition materials, data base oversight, and stewardship planning
- Working with organizational leadership to establish goals, priorities, budgets, and long-range plans for the organization. Experience in leading people and building productive, collegial relationships internally and externally to create a successful environment for fundraising
- Supervising and coaching the organization’s communications and volunteer engagement professionals and advancement professionals. Lead, motivate, and inspire staff to create a strong, cohesive team for achieving fundraising and outreach goals
- Developing and managing an annual budget
- Adhering to the Code of Ethical Principles of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and the Council for the Support and Advancement of Education (CASE)
- Participating in staff activities, programs, and assignments. Assuming other duties as requested/assigned
- Ten or more (10+) years fundraising experience with a significant track record of success in securing major gifts
- Knowledge, understanding and experience in a broad range of fundraising programs, including annual giving, corporate giving and foundation support, planned giving, endowments, donor cultivation, advocacy programs, major gift solicitation, stewardship, and data base management
- Experience integrating the work of a high-performing marketing, communications and volunteer function to fuel philanthropy
- Proven ability to work collegially and effectively with a diverse constituency, including board members, community leaders, donors, corporations, volunteers, and staff
- Extensive working knowledge of fundraising tools and technologies, including major gift and planned giving vehicles, as well as relational databases; Andar and Salesforce experience is a plus
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; must be a brand ambassador and an advocate for donor and community needs; convenes internal and external meetings regularly with prospective donors and entities to explore potential opportunities for collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred