United Way of Central Iowa employees are passionate about our mission of improving lives so individuals in our community can thrive, not just survive. If you are an individual seeking a career aligned with our purpose and passion iin assisting others to succeed, please consider joining our team! This opportunity provides a competitive wage and robust benefits package, a hybrid remote work schedule, a $1,600 sign-on bonus, mileage reimbursement of $.65.5 per mile and cell phone reimbursement of up to $60 per month.
United Way of Central Iowa is seeking Reintegration Specialists to provide case management for individuals reentering the community from incarceration. The Reintegration Specialist positions are part of our Central Returning Iowans Achieve (CIRCA) program, a federal grant awarded to United Way to help returning citizens overcome barriers and develop skills to secure long-term employment. The goal of the program is to help individuals to become self-sufficient and reduce the possibility of returning to prison.
The Reintegration Specialists support clients by building relationships and reentry planning with clients before they are released from a correctional institution, and then supporting clients for a year after reentry. This role will connect and help clients navigate resources and other supportive services to help break down the many barriers returning citizens face to gain long-term employment. This includes providing comprehensive employment preparation and retention services, training clients for Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) and coordinating peers supports once they are back in the community. Individuals with lived experiences with diverse backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply!
The qualified candidate will have experience assisting individuals who have multiple barriers including incarceration, a criminal record, former substance abuse or mental health issues, knowledge of community resources, knowledge of pre-employment and workforce skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, building relationships by listening and being empathetic, and a commitment to teamwork and overall program success. Understanding the importance of following program rules and regulations and maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients is a must. The Reintegration Specialists must be able and and willing to enter prison facilities and must pass a post-offer, pre-employment criminal background check and approval to enter prisons from the Department of Corrections. A record is not necessarily a barrier to employment. These roles require access to reliable transportation to travel to Mitchellville and Newton periodically and a good driving record. As previously noted, mileage is reimbursed.
The starting salary range is $44,000-$47,000 annually depending on experience, and the $1,600 sign-on bonus will be provided at the start of employment.
These positions are time-limited as part of a federal grant and employment with UWCI will end when the grant ends. The grant end date is slated for December 31, 2024, or June 30, 2025, pending the approval of a program extension request.
- An associate degree or bachelor’s degree in human services or related field desired. Experience in lieu of some education will be considered.
- Minimum two years’ experience in case management and direct service delivery.
- Minimum two years’ experience with job placement and mitigating barriers to employment.
- Ability to work with diverse populations facing multiple barriers.
- Ability to establish professional boundaries with clients.
- Solid technology skills with the ability to format resumes and cover letters, mastery of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet applications.
- Ability to drive own car, a valid driver’s license, and a good driving record.
- Ability to take a 3-part background check for federal grant compliance and approval from the Department of Corrections to enter the prison facilities. Note: a record is not necessarily a barrier to employment
Why choose United Way of Central Iowa?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary, a hybrid work schedule, and a robust benefits package that includes health insurance, a dental and vision plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- A positive work environment that fosters diversity, equity, and inclusion principles
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday, and sick time
- Paid volunteer time off
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Free on-site fitness center
- Tuition Assistance
- Commitment to employee professional development
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie.
- Wellness initiatives
United Way is an equal opportunity organization and all qualified applicants for employment or contract assignments will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, skin color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental abilities, genetic information, pregnancy, disability, age, family or marital status, veteran status or other characteristic protected by applicable. United Way of Central Iowa will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the role requirements and any applicable local, state, and Federal law. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please call 515-246-6516.