United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial prosperity of every person in our community.
General Description: This position is responsible for assisting transitioning military service members, veterans, and their dependent families in accessing career and employment opportunities.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Identify potential employers with a focus on veterans, veteran families, and transitioning active-duty members.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with Broward’s Top 100 employers, Career Source Broward, and related community partners.
- Proactively source qualified candidates through various employment search engines and referral networks to build an employment pipeline.
- Manage and maintain applicant tracking system to ensure all candidates, job orders, and Q/C documentation including interviewing process and client follow up are accurately captured and reported. Track both client and employer success and satisfaction in MU Database Systems including Combined Arms and HMIS.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Mission United Employment Committee to ensure clients are appropriately paired with Success Coaches and represented well with potential employers.
- Plan, organize and execute career and employment related activities with the Mission United Staff and Employment Committee.
Other Job Duties:
- Conduct pre-screening interviews of applicants prior to submitting to partner companies and/or employment opportunities.
- Assess applicants’ job readiness.
- Develop career plan in partnership with applicants.
- Provide job development supports such as assisting with resume writing and interview preparation skills.
- Connect applicants with employment service agencies and resources.
- Support clients with employer contacts for job information, interviews, hiring, and retention.
- Promote employer understanding of veteran employees, military culture, and benefits associated with hiring veterans.
- Attend and recruit clients and employers from targeted job fairs and other opportunities.
- Work collaboratively within veteran system of care with case management and partner agency personnel.
- Attend required project-related meetings and special events.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of work experience in corporate or agency recruitment and selection; or any equivalent combination of relevant certifications, training, and experience.
- Experience utilizing applicant tracking systems and other computer applications.
- Experience with Microsoft Suite to include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and skill in varied job readiness, preparation, and retention activities (tailored resume building, interviewing, and workplace performance).
- Ability to translate military experience into civilian experience.
- Knowledge of human and veteran services programming as well as veteran benefits and resources.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.