United Way of Northeast Florida
Position Title: 211 Call Center Specialist
Department: Community Impact/211
Reports to: 211 Operations Manager
Reviewed: June 2020 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
Through active listening, effectively identify and connect people in need to available community resources while demonstrating respect and compassion. Call Center Specialists may be called upon to de-escalate stressful situations, as well as serve as the first point of contact for crisis calls including callers demonstrating suicidal ideology. Specialists may also be involved in follow up communications, intake for specialized programs or services, outbound calls, basic database maintenance and community outreach.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Provide exceptional customer service as the first point of contact with the United Way of Northeast Florida 2-1-1 by linking community members with appropriate services and providing immediate crisis intervention as necessary.
- Establish clear and effective communication using good contact techniques and active listening in a non-judgmental way
- Accurately assess caller’s needs and engage in collaborative problem solving to prioritize and develop an action plan without offering advice or opinions
- Provide thorough, appropriate, and helpful referrals, information, and/or intervention services to address the caller’s need(s)
- Help caller address any perceived barriers or challenges to getting assistance
- Offer honest information regarding services or programs that may not exist in our community. Discuss alternatives, if possible
- Use direct intervention and advocacy when needed as agreed to by the caller
- Conduct complete and accurate interviews and capture all required data into contact center software(s)
- Respect and maintain client confidentiality; follow all agency and program guidelines regarding confidentiality
- If a client is in a crisis, life-threatening or suicidal situation, assist the client to move from an emotional state to a cognitive state
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work with difficult callers or calls using accepted techniques and principles
- After proper Suicide Intervention/Prevention training, be able to answer suicide calls in addition to Information & Referral (I&R) calls
- Develop and practice individual self-care plans
- Follow up on referral cases or other inquires as needed
- Demonstrate a desire to improve with active and open participation in quality assurance program
- Completes required initial and ongoing training as needed.
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned by the supervisory team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the United Way mission statement and Code of Ethics in all interactions with coworkers and constituents
- Expected to maintain an average score of 80% or greater on all individual performance metrics.
Experience / Position Requirements:
- Applicant should possess a motivation to help people, a non-judgmental attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to empathize
- High School diploma/GED required. Associate’s degree in a human services related field preferred OR minimum one-year experience in customer service and crisis intervention experience in lieu of degree
- Inbound call experience or prior I&R experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency in oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer equipment, phones, various software programs and resource file
- Comfort with diverse populations and flexibility are essential
- Ability to work effectively under stress and maintain productivity and composure under pressure
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Adapts readily to changes
- Ability to use good judgment and assessment techniques
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Effectively prioritizes work and establishes clear goals and plans
- Flexibility to work variable shifts within a remote environment
- Overtime as assigned
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.