United Way of Greater Portland Job Posting
CA$H Greater Portland Client Tax Site Coordinator
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. We are seeking an individual who will oversee the daily administration and coordination of a volunteer-run electronic tax preparation site in Portland.
Under general supervision of the Senior Director, Financial Stability this part-time, temporary position will act as the lead in overseeing the operations of the CA$H Greater Portland free tax preparation site(s).
CA$H Greater Portland (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope) is an initiative of United Way of Greater Portland in partnership with the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition, community leaders and industry experts working together to help individuals and families to achieve long-term financial stability.
At CA$H free tax preparation sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers prepare and file federal and state income taxes for free. Participants often learn that they qualify for tax credits, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can put thousands of dollars back into their pockets. Opportunity Guide volunteers help tax site clients with the intake process and share financial education tools and community resources that can help them make the most of their money.
The Tax Site Coordinator is responsible for the administration and coordination of a volunteer-run electronic preparation site in Portland. With guidance from UWGP staff, the Site Coordinator manages all aspects of the tax site to ensure quality services to taxpayers, appropriate application of tax law, and compliance with IRS privacy and confidentiality regulations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide high-quality assistance to all tax site clients, regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, or age, while maintaining the highest-level of client confidentiality.
- Attend all tax site sessions and manage a team of on-site tax preparer volunteers.
- Ensure IRS quality site requirements are in place and volunteer standards of conduct are followed by all volunteers.
- In collaboration with the Asset Organizer, manage the flow of clients through each phase of tax preparation.
- E-file tax returns promptly, retrieve acknowledgements, and address/resolve rejected returns.
- Contact technology support if issues arise.
- Gather and maintain timely statistical reports as required by the IRS and UWGP.
- Coordinate with Scheduler/Volunteer Coordinator and Asset Organizer as needed to ensure the tax site has necessary capacity.
- Keep UWGP staff aware of progress and outstanding questions or concerns.
- Promote and advocate for the mission of CA$H Greater Portland.
Robust training will be provided by UWGP and the IRS, including Standards of Conduct, Security Briefing, Intake/Interview & Quality Review training (must pass certification test), Tax Site Coordinator training (must pass certification test), and at a minimum, Basic level tax preparer training (must pass certification test) with advanced-level preparer certification preferred.
Job requirements include:
- Ability to communicate clearly with the public in a friendly, helpful, and supportive manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and stay focused and organized in a fast-paced and stimulating environment.
- Ability to pass all necessary IRS certification tests (Standards of Conduct, Security Briefing, Intake/Interview & Quality Review, Tax Site Coordinator, and Tax Preparation (minimum basic level; advanced-level preferred) prior to the start of the tax season.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent knowledge of office equipment (i.e. copiers, computers, etc.) and full knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Enthusiastic individual who exhibits a positive attitude and willingness to motivate others.
- Volunteer management and customer service experience.
- Strong sense of ethics, trustworthiness & honesty, always representing CA$H Greater Portland and UWGP in a positive manner.
This position is not benefits-eligible. Parking reimbursement is available for time spent at United Way of Greater Portland.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a non-exempt, part-time, temporary hourly position (approximately 25 hours/week) that will commence for training in December 2019 and conclude in late April 2020. The Tax Site Coordinator must be able to work evenings and Saturdays. Beginning on January 21, 2020 through April 11, 2020, typical hours at the CA$H Greater Portland tax site include 5:30-8:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 8:30am-2:30 or 3:30pm on Saturdays. About five hours per week will be spent at the United Way of Greater Portland office.
Given the short-term and intensive nature of this engagement, the ability to take vacation time is limited.
Travel is primarily local.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 35 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until November 29, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.