United Way of Greater Portland Job Posting
CA$H Greater Portland Client Scheduler & Volunteer Coordinator
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. We are seeking an individual who excels in customer service and to be the first point of contact for clients and to support the tax site volunteers.
Under general supervision of the Community Impact Manager, Financial Stability, this part-time, temporary position will act as the lead in scheduling tax preparation clients and supporting volunteer tax preparers and Opportunity Guides within the CA$H Greater Portland free tax preparation program.
CA$H Greater Portland (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope) is an initiative of United Way of Greater Portland in partnership with the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition, community leaders and industry experts working together to help individuals and families to achieve long-term financial stability.
At CA$H free tax preparation sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers prepare and file federal and state income taxes for free. Participants often learn that they qualify for tax credits, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can put thousands of dollars back into their pockets. Opportunity Guide volunteers help tax site clients with the intake process and share financial education tools and community resources that can help them make the most of their money.
As scheduler, this role is the first point of contact for clients—screening callers for eligibility, scheduling tax site appointments, and answering logistical questions. As volunteer coordinator, this role ensures volunteer and tax site needs for are met for each session through regular communication and support.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide high-quality assistance to all tax site clients, regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, or age, while maintaining the highest-level of client confidentiality.
- Respond to and manage incoming client calls and voicemails, ask client questions from interview sheet, enter client information into electronic spreadsheet, and answer client questions, referring them to additional resources as necessary.
- Prepare and mail or email any necessary pre-appointment paperwork to clients in a timely manner.
- Keep site coordinator and UWGP staff aware of progress and outstanding questions or concerns.
- Communicate regularly with tax preparers and Opportunity Guide volunteers to ensure adequate coverage is in place for each session.
- Screen and support volunteers through certification, orientation, and training throughout the season.
- Manage volunteer and client cancellations by rescheduling appointments or reaching out to additional volunteers.
- Manage the ordering and delivery arrangements for refreshments for volunteers.
- Promote and advocate for the mission of CA$H Greater Portland.
Robust training will be provided by the IRS and UWGP, including Standards of Conduct (must pass certification test), Opportunity Guide training, and Intake/Interview and Quality Review training (must pass certification test).
Job requirements include:
- Ability to communicate clearly with the public in a friendly, helpful, and supportive manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently on several projects simultaneously while remaining focused and organized.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent knowledge of office equipment (i.e. copiers, computers, etc.) and full knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Enthusiasm and ability to motivate others.
- Volunteer management and customer service experience preferred.
- Strong sense of ethics, trustworthiness & honesty, always representing CA$H Greater Portland and UWGP in a positive manner.
This position is not benefits-eligible. Reimbursement for parking is available for time spent at United Way of Greater Portland.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a non-exempt, part-time, temporary hourly position that will commence in late December 2019 and conclude in late April 2020. A mutually agreed upon schedule consisting of approximately 25 hours/week (majority occurring remotely) will be determined.
Given the short-term and intensive nature of this engagement, the ability to take vacation time is limited.
Any travel would be primarily local during the business day.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 35 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until November 29, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.