United Way of Greater Portland Job Posting
CA$H Greater Portland Asset Organizer
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. We are seeking an individual to manage on-site client intake and financial education for our CA$H program.
Under general supervision of the Senior Director, Financial Stability, this part-time, temporary position will act as the lead in overseeing the client intake and the financial education components of the CA$H Greater Portland free tax preparation central site.
CA$H Greater Portland (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope) is an initiative of United Way of Greater Portland in partnership with the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition, community leaders and industry experts working together to help individuals and families to achieve long-term financial stability.
At CA$H free tax preparation sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers prepare and file federal and state income taxes for free. Participants often learn that they qualify for tax credits, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can put thousands of dollars back into their pockets. Opportunity Guide volunteers help tax site clients with the intake process and share financial education tools and community resources that can help them make the most of their money.
The Asset Organizer is responsible for managing on-site Opportunity Guides and assisting with the implementation of CA$H Maine financial stability strengthening initiatives, focusing on client financial literacy and data collection.
Essential Job Functions:
· Provide high-quality assistance to all tax site clients, regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, or age, while maintaining the highest-level of client confidentiality.
· Attend all tax site sessions and manage a team of on-site Opportunity Guide volunteers.
· Coordinate set-up and break-down of financial and asset building resource materials and displays.
· Ensure IRS quality site requirements are in place and volunteer standards of conduct are followed by all volunteers.
· In collaboration with the Tax Site Coordinator, manage and track the flow of clients through each phase of tax preparation.
· Manage client check-in, connect clients with Opportunity Guides, and ensure the intake process runs smoothly.
· Along with Opportunity Guides, conduct one-on-one conversations of a sensitive nature with clients while providing financial support and resources.
· Ensure CA$H Maine Intake sheets are collected and input into the statewide system.
· Coordinate with Scheduler/Volunteer Coordinator and Tax Site Coordinator as needed to ensure the tax site has necessary capacity.
· Support implementation/piloting of new financial education or other resources, such as JumpCredit, voter registration, Census outreach, etc. that may occur simultaneously at the tax site.
· Keep UWGP staff aware of progress and outstanding questions or concerns.
· Promote and advocate for the mission of CA$H Greater Portland.
Robust training will be provided by UWGP, CA$H Maine, and the IRS. This role will be required to take the IRS VITA Standards of Conduct (must pass certification test), Intake/Interview & Quality Review training (must pass certification test) and attend UWGP Opportunity Guide training.
Job requirements include:
· Ability to communicate clearly with the public in a friendly, helpful, and supportive manner.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and stay focused and organized in a fast-paced and stimulating environment.
· Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
· Excellent knowledge of office equipment (i.e. copiers, computers, etc.) and full knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Enthusiastic individual who exhibits a positive attitude and willingness to motivate others
· Volunteer management and customer service experience.
· Strong sense of ethics, trustworthiness, and honesty, always representing CA$H Greater Portland and UWGP in a positive manner.
This position is not benefits-eligible. Reimbursement for parking is available for time spent at United Way of Greater Portland.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a non-exempt, part-time, temporary hourly position (approximately 12-15 hours/week) that will commence with training in early January 2020 and conclude in late April 2020.
Between January 21, 2020 through April 11, 2020, the Asset Organizer’s schedule includes time at the CA$H Greater Portland tax site on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-8:30pm and Saturdays from 8:30-2:30 or 3:30pm (based on special events). Most of the work will be performed at the tax site with occasional data entry done remotely.
Given the short-term and intensive nature of this engagement, the ability to take vacation time is limited.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 35 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until November 29, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.