We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting.Come be a part of the pinnacle nonprofit in our community!
United Way of Greater Kansas City, is a flexible workplace where we trust employees and managers to work together to establish the optimal balance of office and remote work for individual, team and organization success. Full time employees are scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week with an option of a condensed 4.5 day work week.
We are searching for an experienced Communications Director to lead external brand strategy, develop and influence marketing strategy and drive strategic marketing campaigns for our organization. The Communications Director is responsible for increasing awareness and engagement of United Way in the public through physical and digial media. This position will help tell the story of United Way to the public via media, donor communication, newsletters, email communication, direct mail, print, social media, digital ads, out of home media and more. The Communications Director will manage several several projects at the same time so the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and make quick decisions is imperative. The Communications Director will co-manage the Brand and Communications Manager and will work collaboratively with multiple United Way teams. The ideal candidate will have first hand experience with building and leading marketing strategies as well as writing marketing related material (e.g. press releases, op-eds, blog posts, etc).
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build, manage and maintain an annual strategic marketing plan
- Define solutions and create compelling and actionable marketing plans in partnership with the Chief Marketing Officer
- Guide creative oversight and direction-setting for internal and external marketing resource partners.
- Manage how our brand’s story is presented and conveyed through visual and editorial identify
- Leverage awareness and understanding of key audiences and targeted consumer groups. Embed market-based insights into development of strategic marketing communications plan.
- Lead marketing campaigns around United Way annual fundraising campaign
- Increase brand awareness through communication, media and other strategies
- Prepare powerpoint presentations, scripts, talking points, etc for United Way leadership team external and internal events and more
- Define, design and execute multi-channel marketing programs to support key business objectives
- Create and manage overall social media strategy across all United Way social platforms
- Deliver high-quality, timely, and on-brand marketing communications. Effectively manage deliverables against time and financial constraints
- Build and manage the annual public relations and thought leadership plans
- Mainstain relationships and build new relationships with media contacts
- Act as brand champion, ensuring consistency in tone, voice and visual appeal in all forms of communications (consistency, style, quality)
- Serve as project manager and lead communicator for all internal marketing requests
- Create, produce, source, edit and publish compelling and engaging marketing communications
- Develop an annual report that tells the United Way story and amplifies the work of our constituents
- Project Management
- Create a strategy and processes for internal teams to collaborate with Marketing department
- Regularly assess progress to goals, identifying what drives and impedes progress, work to develop solutions to address gaps
- Plan, organize, manage and execute projects from beginning to end
- Track budget, supervise third parties, follow timelines and manage team members to achieve targeted objectives
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in the field of public administration, business, public relations, communications, marketing, or another related field.
- 4-6 years’ experience and demonstrated success in marketing or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and lead marketing strategies, marketing campaigns, and annual public relations plans.
- Experience writing press releases, op-eds, blog posts and other marketing related material.
- Knowledge of marketing-related best pracicies in the fields of advertising, public relations, media strategies, etc.
- Excellent visual, verbal and written communication skills. Eye for design aesthetics.
- Command of storytelling, the creative process, and brand communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work with executive levels in business, industry and government, foundation management, and other key community leaders.
- Experience with graphic design software, photography/videography/animation is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to translate marketing material into Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Desire to continuously learn and grow. Curiosity to understand how your job impacts the work of others. Desire to see the big picture.
- Must have organizational skills and attention to details. Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Must have the ability to manage projects, workload and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision.
**Preferred, but not required: Please include a writing sample and link/PDF to your portfolio
United Way of Kansas City offers a competitive benefits package including full health and dental coverage; Three-weeks paid vacation; 403B with company match; flexible office culture; employee development opportunities and a hybrid work environment.