About United Way:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
LOCATION: Boston, MA
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-exempt, 1 year-term
United Way seeks a professional to work part-time, who has experience in volunteer management and event planning, with a focus on youth development through the lens of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). The candidate will join United Way’s Educational Success team to support our BoSTEM Initiative, which is focused on engaging middle schoolers in a meaningful STEM experiences that improve social-emotional skills, academic achievement, and interest in STEM careers.
The Americorp VISTA will serve as the liaison for BoSTEM amongst schools, Out-of-School time (OST) programs, and corporate partners. The Americorp VISTA will support the planning, coordination, and implementation of volunteer engagement opportunities that increase student learning in BoSTEM programs. The VISTA will also refine systems for soliciting, documenting, analyzing, and communicating stakeholder learning gleaned from BoSTEM volunteer opportunities.
The primary activities of the VISTA will be to help streamline our process for planning workplace field trips to STEM corporations, and volunteer opportunities for STEM professional at BoSTEM OST programs. Upon completion, the VISTA will have developed a “playbook” to share with others on how to successfully run STEM volunteer opportunities with students.
Workplace field trips: This involves communicating with both BoSTEM OST programs and corporate partners to match them according to curriculum or interest. The VISTA must work with the STEM Coordinator to coordinate a time for field trips, manage the collection of necessary forms (e.g. student rosters, permission slips), planning the logistics of the workplace field trip (e.g. agenda, transportation), and attending the field trips. While attending field trips, the VISTA will be expected to support the educators and professionals in ensuring a high-quality experience for all involved, as well as collecting survey data from the youth attending the field trip. After each field trip, the VISTA will also be responsible for posting on social media and creating one-pagers for the companies based on the data we collect from surveys.
Volunteering: The VISTA will work with the Project Director and STEM Coordinator to streamline our process for training and placing mentors. The VISTA’s work will increase our organizational capacity to engage more corporate volunteers in mentoring opportunities annually. Once the process has been streamlined, the VISTA will draft a “playbook”, to be shared externally for youth-serving organizations that wish to run host their own mentors with STEM companies and professionals.
Externships: The VISTA will work with the Project Director and STEM Coordinator to develop a teacher and educator externship program for partners. Teachers and educators will be provided the opportunity to work with the corporate sector to learn about the careers in the industry, and the knowledge a student needs to be successful. The VISTA will successfully execute at least one externship opportunity during the course of their service year.
The VISTA will also support the BoSTEM Project Director on planning events, and administration-related activities.
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position.
1. Partnership Development:
- Strengthen existing partnerships, and support the growth of new partnerships with STEM corporations in collaboration with the United Way Corporate Engagement team
- Manage relationships with school, OST and Corporate partners by providing high quality customer service to all
2. Project Coordination:
- Act as a resource for new and existing program partners developing and implementing high quality volunteer opportunities
- Assist the STEM Coordinator in successfully coordinating workplace field trips and volunteer opportunities with STEM corporate partners
- Document and archive all efforts and outcomes, as well as feedback from youth and volunteers
3. Event Management:
- Successfully plan and implement field trips and volunteer opportunities
- Create workplans, calendars, logistical checklists, and invitation lists to support implementation of these events
- Develop marketing collateral for web-based, social media, and live outreach opportunities.
- Research and develop training materials (PowerPoints, handouts, etc.) or refine existing materials for use at professional learning community events.
- Develop and implement a system to solicit and track feedback from event participants and work collaboratively with United Way staff and partners to implement refinements for future events.
4. Program Administration
- Collecting and appropriately filing documentation such as permission slips and CORI forms
- Assisting the BoSTEM Project Director on activities related to BoSTEM
- Professional demeanor and ability to work in multicultural settings
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and to work independently
- Ability to manage relationships and provide excellent customer service
- Detail oriented and a self-starter
- Experience in project and/or event management
- Group facilitation skills are a plus
- Background in education, youth development and/or STEM is a plus
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS APPLY HERE:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who
reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.