For 100 years, United Way of the Columbia-Willamette (UWCW) has been working to meet the needs of vulnerable families in our region. No matter the crises, we have always remained steadfast in our commitment to LIVE UNITED and take care of our community.
We are uniquely positioned in our region to bring people, community partners, foundations, businesses and government agencies together to build awareness of the challenges that poverty creates, focus on where the need is the greatest and scale what works to create sustainable impact.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Create engaging content including effective storytelling, copywriting, and editing for United Way of the Columbia Willamette’s (UWCW) print and digital channels; support resource development goals, make regular updates and analyze traffic to the website; and implement an effective social media and SEO strategy for the organization with the aim of elevating UWCW’s brand, advancing its mission and increasing supporters. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be temporarily working from home.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Social Media – 40%
- Manage day-to-day operation and monitoring of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram accounts.
- Develop and maintain a social media calendar taking cause awareness days into account, to create compelling content resulting in increased supporters.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications and the Brand Manager to implement a social media strategy and establish metrics in conjunction with an editorial calendar and marketing strategy.
- Create and manage targeted and compelling social media ads, contests, Google ads and other paid social media to support fundraising, new business development and brand awareness.
- Recommend and implement new features on social media to enhance awareness of UWCW’s brand as well as increase donor and volunteer engagement and support.
- Create social media best practices and guidelines for the organization, including social media toolkits as necessary.
- Train staff and UWCW Board on social media protocols and provide ongoing support.
- Execute social media campaigns on specific cause awareness days and for fundraising.
- Establish a group of social media influencers related to United Way’s mission.
- Regularly analyze and report on social media metrics and recommend ways to improve engagement
Content Writing – 20%
- Create compelling storytelling pieces for digital and print channels, with appropriate visuals including infographics, to demonstrate the impact of United Way’s work, engage supporters including new donors as well as retain existing supporters.
- Focus on content writing to support the organization’s Individual Giving goals
- Write, copy edit, design/manage design, distribute and train staff members on use of collateral for a range of audiences
- Collaborate with various Departments and other nonprofit partners to create impact stories and engaging content for consumption across multiple channels, including promoting advocacy related content on social media as needed
- Assist with photography needs during internal events, community events as well as donor engagement functions
Website – 20%
- Manage website content including regular updates and donor-centered messaging.
- Manage website enhancements with external contractors/developers as necessary.
- Regularly update staff and UWCW Board information on the website, including taking profile pictures of new staff and Board members
- Assist with digital marketing/fundraising campaigns such as #GivingTuesday, Classy peer to peer fundraising, year-end and spring appeals and disaster relief campaigns.
- Assist with optimizing editorial content for the website, including copy, design, and web integration (i.e. stories, blogs, specific landing pages) for SEO.
Analytics and Operations – 10%
- Utilize web/social/email analytics tools and platforms (i.e., Google Analytics, Social Media analytics etc.) to interpret the effectiveness of digital content posted in engaging with identified communities and make adjustments as necessary.
- Regularly report on Google Ad Grant performance and SEO tracking.
- Share web analytics reports and dashboards with the Marketing team, Resource Development team and other key staff to better inform their work.
- Ensure adherence to United Way’s brand and that all content produced for both internal and external consumption follows the brand guidelines.
- Continually work to improve and streamline processes and operations.
- Assist Brand Manager with earned media and media relations strategies as needed.
Equity and Culture – 5%
- Execute marketing projects with an equity lens, ensuring we are reaching appropriate audiences and authentically representing United Way’s work and the communities we serve.
- Manage translation of materials into Spanish and other languages, including creating and posting social media content in Spanish
Ad Hoc Accountabilities – 5%
- Serve on integrated staff teams assigned to cross-departmental marketing and communications projects. Act as team leader when assigned.
- Seek opportunities to build relationships across departments.
- Stay abreast of current trends and techniques in digital marketing and measurement to keep United Way of the Columbia-Willamette at the forefront.
- Attend organizational, departmental, and committee meetings as directed.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s Degree; or a comparable combination of experience and education.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with the ability to speak and write proficiently in both languages.
- Digital marketing, copywriting and editing experience. Relevant writing samples required to be shown during interview.
- Photojournalism and basic video editing experience.
- Experience bringing a variety of initiatives and tasks to successful closure in a deadline-oriented environment.
Supervision and Working Relationships
Supervisory Direction Received:
- Position works under the general direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Requires planning and arranging of own work in relation to overall set objectives.
- Work subject to review and evaluation by supervisor
- Works closely with the Marketing and Communications team. Additional working relationships may include Resource Development, Community Investments, UWCW staff, donors, Hands On Greater Portland volunteers, nonprofit and social sector partners, corporate donor organizations, service beneficiaries, subject matter experts and other constituents
- No direct reports
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.