Position: Associate Vice President, Communications
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Location: New York City
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
Position Overview: The Associate Vice President (AVP, Communications) will take the lead on executing UWNYC’s integrated Marketing & Communications strategy in order to strengthen the brand and showcase our unique Community Impact work across key external and internal stakeholders.
Reporting to the XXX and serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team, the AVP, of Communications will be responsible for the development of UWNYC’s communications strategy and will contribute to UWNYC’s organizational strategic planning process. The AVP of Communications will develop a high-level communications plan for UWNYC, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. Working with our PR agency the AVP of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
- Be both a strategist and an operator, project manager and trafficker; manage multiple internal & external “campaigns” to build awareness and passion for the UWNYC brand, ensuring that all marketing collateral and communications reflect and embody our innovative, impactful work, while enhancing the visibility and public perception and reputation of UWNYC.
- Develop a deep understanding of UWNYC’s current products and its future product roadmap.
- Working together with the VP, Experiential Marketing, create innovative and high impact marketing & communications campaigns that drive UWNYC’s fundraising efforts.
- Drive the fullest understanding of UWNYC’s target audiences and user personas through a host of different research methods.
- Develop and execute UWNYC’s strategic marketing & communications plan.
- Establish an annual communications calendar and production schedule.
- Cultivate UWNYC’s product value proposition for differentiated audiences, driving segmented product marketing that targets everyone from individual donors to our corporate partners.
- Produce strong product marketing infrastructure including website landing pages, interactive content, collateral materials, user guides, brochures etc.
- Oversee development of all UWNYC’s print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Create an overall messaging strategy for all online communication tools including the UWNYC website (www.unitedwaynyc.org) and all official UWNYC social media platforms, delegating content responsibility to other departments as appropriate.
- Support external PR firm, specifically work focused on raising the profile of UWNYC’s CEO on online and social media outlets.
- Ideate and manage UWNYC Blog and key stakeholder communications.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Planning and Execution
- Business Acumen and Strategic Direction
- Talent Management
- Outward Turning Focus
- Effective and Engaging Communicator
- Entrepreneurial and Innovative
- Embracing and Managing Change
- Planning and Project Management
- Service Orientation
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Combines a deep level of marketing and communications experience with technology and a passion for making New York City a place that every resident can thrive.
- 7-10 years of experience in Marketing & Communications in a consumer facing organization.
- Excellent strategic and analytical thinking, problem solver, project manager, with strong presentation skills.
- Disciplined, great attention to detail and follow through.
- Can work in a fast-paced environment, handle a large workflow, be very organized and efficient with a strong ability to multi-task.
- Excellent writer—can write clearly and turn complex info into simple value propositions.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a variety of departments.
- Experienced communicator—can confidently and eloquently inform the business value of our product marketing strategies.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer