United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources across eight counties to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
The Associate Director of Data and Quality Improvement will develop, promote and maintain the United Way of the Mid-South’s Driving The Dream (DTD) performance and quality improvement systems, enterprise databases, client systems, and drive data-sharing strategies with external partners. This includes the adoption of tools and the internal infrastructure needed to ensure network-wide adoption of and adherence to Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) standards which encourage the use of data to identify areas of improvement and implement plans in support of achieving performance targets, program goals, client satisfaction, and positive client outcomes. In addition, this person will assist the Director of Information Systems and Facilities Management in the organization’s enterprise-wide digital transformation initiative. The ideal candidate is an engaged, dynamic individual who will thrive in this environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Information Systems and Enterprise Data Management
- Lead efforts to establish a data-driven culture within the network of UWMS and DTD partner agencies.
- Lead the development and administration of Caseworthy, the DTD data platform
- Lead the DTD effort to establish and implement DTD data-sharing strategies with external partner organizations.
- Work with IS leadership and the Executive Leadership Team to establish an Enterprise Data Management strategy
- Be a key member of the UWMS digital transformation team
- Work with the Director of Information Systems and Facilities Management to build a company-wide data dictionary and scheme
Driving The Dream Responsibilities
- Guide the development and tracking of system-level process metrics (e.g., the fidelity of program implementation to the program model), community-level metrics, and client-level metrics.
- Monitor program performance, based on key indicators, utilizing ongoing, objective, and measurable evaluative processes.
- Oversee all data assets, tools, and analytics, ensuring that all deliverables are timely, accurate and of the highest quality.
- Produce, validate and deliver accurate and presentation-quality reports and meaningful ad hoc reports from verbal and written requests.
- Develop, examine and analyze DTD agency reports and coordinate performance improvement activities.
- Ensure performance reporting activities are well-coordinated with other collaborative partners and funding entities.
- Coordinate with other UWMS staff and DTD system developers to reveal ways to improve the DTD model.
- Monitor and update data collection forms and templates across the DTD network.
- Proactively address technical and training issues related to agency and DTD data systems.
- Facilitate agency meetings and training related to quality assurance and accountability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Information Systems, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field. Master’s preferred.
- A combination of five years of work experience in the human services sector and/or one of the following areas: performance measurement and management, quality improvement, and/or evaluation and research.
- Five years’ experience in database management to include SQL, T-SQL, and Web services
- Three to five years’ experience working with SaaS applications and high-volume transactional systems.
- Three years of leadership-based responsibilities involving collaborative, multi-system initiatives, and/or project management.
- Working knowledge of data analytics to inform performance management and accountability.
- Working knowledge of disaggregation of population data.
- Working knowledge of results-based accountability frameworks.
- Demonstrated commitment to the field and a passion for serving under-served and under-resourced individuals, families and/or communities; particularly people living in poverty.
- Demonstrated knowledge of performance management as an approach to continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to produce accurate, factual, and timely narrative and/or numeric reports on a variety of data points.
- Experience designing and implementing training on various subjects and modalities.
- Commitment to promoting a results-oriented approach to human services program design and implementation.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking skills for analysis and problem-solving.
- Quick learner, possessing superior judgment.
- Good sense of humor and ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and to structure the work environment as demonstrated by strong organization skills.
Direct supervisory responsibility includes the authority to hire, transfer, suspend, layoff, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward or discipline subordinate employees or effectively recommend such actions. This position will directly supervise Data Analysts and Associates in the Data and Quality Improvement classification.
This position requires the employee to be able to lift 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion, and to reach using arms and hands. The position may also require significant walking and capability to climb stairs. The employee will need to have the ability to talk to and hear customers during events. Specific visual abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. There may be additional physical requirements associated with off-site corporate or volunteer events.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
This position must be willing to work flexible hours outside of normal business hours with some local travel to meet with partners. Must have valid Driver’s License, car insurance and reliable transportation. Must have personal cell phone to communicate outside of the office.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice. Occasional travel or work outside normally assigned work hours may be required in order to complete the requirements of this position.
- Drive for Stakeholder Success
- Effective Communication
- Adaptability and Change Management
- Cross-Functional Capability and Collaboration
- Deep Community Expertise
- Product Development and Implementation
- Advocacy and Public Policy
TALENT MANAGEMENT & PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT
- Builds and leads a diverse team that enables the organization to succeed; Hires the right people; Demands high performance and results; Ensures people’s work is aligned with mission and strategy.
- Is open to new ideas; Invests time and resources in training, development and succession for the department; Identifies and grooms high-potentials; Delegates effectively.
- Coaches and mentors employees and teams.
- Receives and provides feedback in a constructive way that builds confidence among staff; Addresses performance problems.
BUSINESS ACUMEN & STRATEGIC DIRECTION
- Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of the United Way network; Understands the business of the organization and effectively creates a strategy.
- Understands the community and its business environment.
- Understands general business and financial principles required to effectively lead, manage and align resources for performance; Is able to read financial statements and create budgets.
- Contributes to the bottom line by helping the organization grow its resources and capacity.
OPERATIONAL PLANNING & EXECUTION
- Establishes effective and efficient processes that align their department priorities with organization goals, strategy and mission;
- Collaborates effectively within the organization.
- Inspires and motivates people to build the culture of United Way as the Mission of Choice.
- Engages volunteers in a way that helps execute the strategy.
- Develops strategic relationships to benefit United Way and the community; Knows key players in the community and is diligent in maintaining and expanding the network of partners.
- Seeks to learn from inside and outside the network to build skills, knowledge, and abilities to challenge the organization in reaching its potential.
- Is an effective spokesperson for United Way and its work
- Is present and visible in the community and with partners (donors, volunteers…); Engages, listens and understands community aspirations.
- Establishes credibility as a leader on critical issues and solutions affecting the community.
United Way Core Competencies
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references (with phone numbers) to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your correspondence. For more information about United Way of the Mid-South, please visit us online at www.uwmidsouth.org.