The Assistant Vice President, Major Gifts and Operations, provides leadership in identifying, attracting, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts from individual donors to support the fundraising efforts of United Way of Greater Houston. The Assistant Vice President’s responsibilities are twofold; (1), leading and further developing a strategic and comprehensive program to identify prospects and present strategies to cultivate and increase leadership giving in the areas of: Major Gifts ($25,000 plus) and (2), leading the effort in conducting prospect research using financial data, information from multiple news sources and wealth screening services to increase the high-level donor base.
The position requires the coordination and support of high level volunteers, which includes supporting membership retention and recruitment efforts through volunteer steering committees, development and execution of a year-round communication program, building relationships with donors and prospects, extensive research on members and prospects, and assisting with coordination of cultivation events. The position reports to the Vice President and Chief Development Officer and leads a team of 15 full-time equivalent employees including 4 direct reports (subject to change). In addition, the Assistant Vice President must work collaboratively with the Corporate Relations and Marketing and Brand teams, corporate donors, key volunteers, and individual donors.
A key responsibility of this position is the ability to listen well and possess strong interpersonal skills to perceive and react sensitively to the needs and interests of potential donors. The incumbent will be flexible, self-motivated, accurate, professional, and detail oriented. Adeptness in conveying the story of the United Way to a diverse group of donors and prospects for their cultivation is paramount.
Education: Bachelors or better in Business Administration or related field.
Experience: 8 - 10 years: Fundraising & Management
Certifications: Certififed Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.