United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant Director (AD) of Engagement and Communication supports the mission of United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) by developing and executing integrated efforts to foster volunteer and donor engagement and create external and internal communication and marketing strategies. The AD of Engagement and Communication will create greater awareness, and enhance the organization’s reputation as a respected community leader and an organization that responds to our community's needs, transforms lives and brings long-lasting systemic change by focusing on the underlying issues.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Assistant Director (AD) of Engagement and Communication will oversee the development and management of the brand; marketing and communication; and engagement efforts required to support the long-term strategic direction of the organization. The AD will oversee the integration of effective marketing and communication strategies, both internally and externally, across all functional areas of United Way of El Paso County.
Engagement and Communication
Provide day-to-day management of staff and volunteers in engagement and communication:
- Engagement: Engage donors and other stakeholders in the work of UWEPC programs to promote their value clearly and effectively to individuals and segments who could benefit from the intended outcomes. Create and manage listening channels for feedback from donors and stakeholders and. Build and launch an effective and comprehensive strategy for engaging volunteers and other stakeholders through events.
- Communications and Marketing: Deliver impactful stakeholder and donor communications as part of a comprehensive communications plan that facilitates moving potential donors from being unaware of United Way, to donors who take ownership in our work; Project-manage the process that creates marketing and communication deliverables from conception of the strategy to delivering the end product (deliverable) on time; Consult with other management staff for input on the communication of key messages and pursue innovation in communicating these messages; Develop concept and copy for all high-level communication projects including speech writing, key partner presentations, messaging, advertising, web-based tools, and interactive communications such as social media. Maintain an integrated communication plan emphasizing implementation and action to strengthen and clarify UWEPC’s role in addressing issues.
- Brand Management: Responsible for building and sustaining a strong, compelling local brand identity. Ensure brand consistency in collateral, communications, and events. Ensures values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are reflected in all aspects of brand expression. Identify opportunities and support initiatives that strategically build UWEPC’s brand.
Donor Data Management
- Document significant donor/prospect information, relationship activities, interactions and communications, solicitations, historical data and other important details in CRM.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Assist in building and implementing a strategic focus for UWEPC initiatives in the priority area of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
- Provide leadership, guidance and oversight to all UWEPC efforts in DEI including advocacy, partnerships, capacity building and outreach.
- Serve as the main point of contact for United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) on topics related to DEI and community equity. Strengthen local partnerships through ongoing engagement as well as effective communication and information-sharing.
Staff Leadership and Management
- Recruit, supervise, and manage qualified and dedicated staff within UWEPC efforts of community resiliency and DEI.
- Plan and coordinate ongoing professional development and appropriate skills training for staff on pertinent topics.
- Lead and guide team members in strategically developing and building awareness of services related to addressing community needs.
- Supervise and manage staff workloads and performance plans.
- Provide strategic focus for the team, including encouraging collaboration between initiatives and partners.
- Maintain working knowledge of all UWEPC programs, engagement and initiatives to serve as a strong representative and advocate for the organization.
- Seek and maintain strong community partnerships with local service providers and potential supporters.
- Cultivate a strong collaborative of response and engagement by convening partners to assess community needs and strategically provide services in collaboration with partners.
- Participate in recurring program and strategic meetings to assist in shaping the vision of UWEPC Community Impact products and partnerships.
- Advocate for UWEPC Community Impact products with community partners and stakeholders. Research new programs and services that may be relevant to the mission and values of UWEPC.
- Develop and cultivate successful business/personal relationships with key employees and CEO, including elected officials and key County and City staff.
- Facilitate relationships with partners for direct services and programming to clients including MOUs, reporting, and information-sharing.
Bachelor’s degree in subjects related to health and human services, non-profit or organizational management, public relations, communications, marketing, or social services, plus ten (10) years of work experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience related to the duties of the position.
Knowledge of the non-profit and social services sector is essential. Skills in grant-writing, grant management, personnel management, program development and operation, leadership, strategic planning, management of sub-contractors and partnerships, and volunteer engagement are desired.
Expert knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel), expert knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; expert knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, FaceBook Live, Microsoft Teams; Intermediate knowledge of case management software and workflow.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.