VISTA Assignment Objectives and Member Activities
Goal of the Project: The Programming & Outreach Coordinator VISTA will build the capacity of UTHealth Center for Community Impact by coordinating and expanding health screenings, nutrition education, and SNAP and WIC enrollment at food retail and other locations. The VISTA will recruit additional food retail and other community-based locations to offer on-site services, coordinate other partners who currently offer such services, and develop a system, procedures, and materials for enlisting and managing enrollment services at new and existing sites. In working to recruit food retailers, the VISTA will help identify projects to introduce more healthy and affordable food retail in high-need areas of El Paso County that may qualify for funding through El Paso County’s Healthy Food Financing Initiative.
Objective of the Assignment:
Determine the current benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screening services offered by partners at food retail and other community-based locations, including scheduled visits, number of sites, staffing and equipment.
- Develop outreach and communication materials for use in engaging new sites to offer in-store/on-site benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screenings services
- Identify current program partners’ reach, schedule, and capacity for offering benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screening at food retail and other community sites
- Research and document the organizations and locations that currently offer benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screenings services in El Paso County
- Develop a database of potential high-priority sites and new benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screenings services partners
- Develop a written plan and timeline to increase benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screenings services at food retail and other community sites
Objective of the Assignment
Build capacity to expand in-store/on-site services and develop an efficient and sustainable system for coordinating, scheduling, and tracking in-store/on-site benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screening services by multiple partners.
- Work with current in-store/on-site services providers to collect information about and understand their scheduling, coordination, and communications practices and procedures
- Create a system for scheduling, coordinating, and communicating services at food retail and other community sites that meets the needs of in-store/on-site services providers
- Build relationships with prospective service sites, including food retail and other community locations to cultivate future partnership
- Build relationships with new services providers in El Paso County to cultivate future partnership
Objective of the Assignment
Identify food retailers in high-need areas of El Paso County and assess their current healthy and affordable food offerings, interest in making changes to increase healthy and affordable food availability and needs.
- Develop outreach and communication materials for use in engaging food retailers and to introduce them to El Paso County’s Healthy Food Financing Initiative program and available grant and loan funding
- Develop outreach and communication materials to educate local food retail outlets about best practices to increase their healthy and affordable food offerings and sales
- Develop a database of high-priority food retail sites in high-need areas of El Paso County
Objective of the Assignment
Develop materials and plan for onboarding new food retail and other community sites that will offer benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screening services.
- Research best practices for in-store/on-site benefits enrollment, nutrition education, and health screening services, including space, technology, and staffing needs
- Develop materials for food retail and other community partners that outline needs and scheduling protocol
- In collaboration with staff and partners, create a plan for identifying food retail and other community partnerships, onboarding new food retail and other community sites
- Develop plan for recruiting and materials for onboarding new grocery stores and other sites
Required Qualifications (documentation proving qualification will be collected)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien
- Must be at least 18 years of age on or before August 1, 2021
- Must be able to pass a background check upon start of service
- Must be able to communicate proficiently in English; Spanish language skills preferred
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Associates Degree or some college experience preferred
- Must be competent in web browsing, emailing, and Microsoft Office Programs
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle
- Skills and Demonstrated Abilities· Strong leadership and ability to work effectively individually, as well as with a team
- Consistent verbal/ written communication skills
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Dependable time management and organization skills to coordinate multiple tasks
- Reliable written and verbal recordkeeping, documenting, and reporting skills
- Personal Attributes
- Works well with others, regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion or ability
- Delivers strong public speaking skills and is attentive to detail, accuracy and quality
- Exemplifies honesty, compassion, integrity, good judgment, professionalism, and tact
- Demonstrates passion for/commitment to enhancing the community in which they serve
Internal and external contacts are critical to success of this program. The AmeriCorps VISTA will focus on developing and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders, including host sites, educational institutions, foundations, community groups, government agencies, non-profit agencies, neighborhood associations, faith-based organizations, and individual donors.
Living Allowance and Benefits
- AmeriCorps Members will receive (upon successful completion of program requirements):
- A living allowance of $515.08 every two weeks.
- Upon completion of a full year of service (12 months), the VISTA will have the option to receive an education award ($6,345) or cash stipend ($1,800)
- A health insurance plan and SNAP eligibility
*Eligible AmeriCorps VISTA Members may apply to receive childcare benefits