AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a big difference in your life and in the lives of those around you. It’s a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.
Each year, AmeriCorps offers 80,000 opportunities for adults of all ages and backgrounds to serve through a network of partnerships with local and national nonprofit groups. Whether your service makes a community safer, gives a child a second chance, or helps protect the environment, you’ll be getting things done through AmeriCorps! AmeriCorps members address critical needs in communities all across America.
AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance during their term of service. They gain new skills and experiences—and find tremendous satisfaction that comes from helping others.
In addition, members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college, graduate school or to pay back qualified student loans. Members ages 55+ can donate their education award to their children, grandchildren and foster children. Loan forbearance is also available to AmeriCorps members during their term of service. Childcare and health insurance benefits are available for full-time 1,700 hour positions.
As an AmeriCorps member, you can:
- Tutor and mentor disadvantaged youth
- Manage or operate after-school programs
- Help communities respond to disasters
- Build organizational capacity
- Improve Financial Literacy
Serving in Lake, Porter, LaPorte and Marshall Counties.
Who can apply?
- 18 years of age at commencement of service.
- US Citizen, US National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
- Have a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate (or agrees to obtain a high school diploma or its equivalency).
How to apply:
The AmeriCorps application starts by clicking the Apply Now button hyperlink. This will take you to the program application page. Before beginning, please read all instructions below.
- On the program application page, click the Apply Now! button in the center of the page to create an account in the system. You will need an active email address in order to complete this step of the process.
- In the main menu on the left-hand side, click the Applicant Home link at the top of the list. This will switch the main menu to a new list of options. Click the second link in this list - Applications - to move forward in the process.
- On this page, you'll need to click the Create Application button on the far right to continue. The application has eight steps. The last step is the references section. Fill out every section.
- The application asks for your full 9-digit zip code in multiple places. If you do not know your full 9-digit zip code, click here to find it.
- If the application gives you an error, it’s usually a mistyped mailing or email address or a section has not been completed. Re-read the instructions to resolve any issues.
- For the Reference Section, you must add the contact information for your references into the application prior to finishing this section. Your references will be sent an email from AmeriCorps asking them to add their recommendation of you to the application. Note: Your reference recommendations do not have to be submitted by the recommender prior to your initial application submission to United Way of Porter County.
- Make sure the application is complete where all of the boxes above the application are checked. You can verify completion by going to the application tab on the left (leaving the application screen) and then viewing “Application 1” where it will say “Complete” or “Incomplete” next to the application hyperlink on the right.
- Once you have completed the tasks above, you will now submit the application to the United Way of Porter County AmeriCorps program. Click Applicant Home again on the left hand side of the page. A new menu should appear with the option called Search Listings.
- Select Search Listings. In the middle of the page, look for this box:
- The Program Type is “AmeriCorps State/National” and our organization is “United Way of Porter County”.
- Please make sure to select the 2018-2019 listing as the 2017-2018 listing will not let you apply.
- When you have completed the submission process, email Maddie Grimm, United Way AmeriCorps Program Director, for verification and to set up an interview.
“This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or religion.”