AmeriCorps Member - Home Visitation Coordinator (full-time)
Reports to: Designated on-site supervisor as well as the Program Director of Welcome Baby, which is housed at the United Way of Northern Utah.
Hours: This is a full-time AmeriCorps position. Full-time AmeriCorps members are required to serve 1,700 hours during their year of service.
Location: Ogden, Utah. This position will be located at Midtown Community Health Clinic in Ogden, Utah as a part of a pilot collaboration with Intermountain Healthcare.
How to apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Hannah Kenny (Welcome Baby Program Director) at email@example.com. Please specify your location and position (part-time or full-time) preference in your email. A requirement for this position is that the member is bilingual- fluent in English and Spanish; please do not apply if you cannot fill this requirement.
ABOUT WELCOME BABY
Welcome Baby is a free home visitation program that promotes healthy, secure, and enjoyable new beginnings for parents, new babies, and their family members. This is a self-appointed parent education program for which a visit protocol, evidence-based curriculum, individualized parent education plan, and a specific home visit framework has been developed. For the past 6 years, Welcome Baby has been serving families in Weber and Box Elder Counties. However, beginning January 2021, this program will begin a statewide expansion and will offer home visitation in multiple counties throughout Northern Utah. Over the next 3 years, our goal is to make Welcome Baby available to all families in Utah.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is a position as an AmeriCorps member. AmeriCorps is a national network of programs that address critical community needs in our nation. The Welcome Baby Program is funded in part by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and the Utah State Commission on Volunteers, and offers people of all ages the opportunity to provide valuable service to families and their young children in their community while gaining job experience and valuable life skills.
This position will be located at Midtown Community Health Clinic in Ogden, Utah as a part of a pilot collaboration with Intermountain Healthcare. The AmeriCorps member will serve as Home Visitation Coordinator, working to promote the importance of early childhood education and parent support in their community by working directly with families to educate them on the importance and value of home visitation, assess the families’ needs to get them referred to an appropriate home visitation program (Welcome Baby, Parents as Teachers, or Nurse Family Partnership) and make the necessary agency referrals to connect them with resources in the community. The AmeriCorps member will collaborate with community partners, other home visitation programs and clinic site staff to determine which home visitation program would best benefit the family and initiate a warm handoff to that program. In addition to conducting Welcome Baby home visits, the AmeriCorps member will recruit community volunteers (Home Visitors) to provide monthly in-home visits and mentor families. The AmeriCorps member will oversee the training of home visitors, manage their home visit assignments and be responsible for managing data on all families referred for home visitation.
Additionally, the AmeriCorps member will provide every family with information on the importance of ASQ screenings, and ensure that they are receiving screenings at regular intervals, either through providers at the clinic, their assigned home visitation program, or Help Me Grow Utah.
The AmeriCorps member will be responsible to ensure that each of their assigned Welcome Baby families receives a monthly home visit, either through a home visitor or by the AmeriCorps member themself. The member is responsible for tracking monthly home visit reports, bi-annual parent assessments, ASQ screenings, and other data related to grant reporting needs and program performance measures.
Benefits: This is a volunteer position. During their 12-month term of service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance within federal AmeriCorps National Service Program guidelines. The living allowance will be paid monthly through United Way of Northern Utah payroll.
At the end of their term of service, AmeriCorps Members receive an education award that can be used for eligible student loans, tuition, or other education-related expenses ($6,345 for full-time positions or $3,172.50 for part-time positions). If the AmeriCorps member is over the age of 55, they may gift their education award to a child or grandchild. A health insurance subsidy and qualified child care expense reimbursement is available for full-time AmeriCorps Members (1,700 hours) who do not have other health insurance. All AmeriCorps Members are eligible to receive forbearance of payments on current student loans.
Members can serve in a full-time AmeriCorps role for two (2) consecutive years.
•Provide assessment and home visitation referral to families from Midtown Community Health Clinic.
- Recruit, train, supervise and support a minimum of 16 home visitor volunteers to help provide monthly home visits to families enrolled in the Welcome Baby Program.
- Provide Welcome Visit (first-time Welcome Baby visit) to new families and ongoing regular visits (if there are no home visitors to provide regular visits).
- Work closely with clinic staff to determine best practices for supporting families with young children, as well as referring families and individuals to community resources.
- Input family data into the UniteUs platform and refer to the recommended home visitation program. Input, collect and report monthly home visit reports from Welcome Baby home visitors, bi-annual parent assessments and other data requirements.
- Educate families on the importance of the ASQ screening, complete first-time screening, and ensure regular screenings are completed (either by the referred home visitation program, providers at the clinic, or Help Me Grow Utah).
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours of community service to support various local non-profit agencies, and participate in both the annual AmeriCorps MLK Day of Service and the 9/11 Day of Remembrance.
- Attend orientation and program training, complete ongoing training requirements and attend any additional conferences or in-services as specified.
- Meet all the requirements of your contractual agreement (explained at orientation).
- Must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Background in Early Childhood Development or related is preferred.
- Criminal history background checks are conducted on all AmeriCorps members when an offer is made. The term of service is always contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and national sex offender check.
- Commitment to fulfilling an entire term of service (one calendar year) with the ability to serve the required hours consistently- depending on the enrollment term.
- Must be an organized and professional self-starter, exhibiting good judgment with the flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities and demands.
- Ongoing access to reliable transportation to and from your assigned site, and to complete home visitation with families in the program, as needed.
United Way of Northern Utah and the Welcome Baby Initiative of Utah recognizes that in order to accomplish our mission, we must strive to invest in recruiting and developing a team that reﬂects the broad diversity of our community. Our core values of inclusion, clear sense of service, integrity, positive attitude, innovation and equity are the foundation of our organization and propel our work forward, including in the areas of recruitment and retention.
As an equal opportunity program, the Welcome Baby Initiative of Utah encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. We evaluate all candidates on a merit basis.