The UServeUtah AmeriCorps Math Tutoring program will place AmeriCorps members in elementary schools to tutor students who have been identified in the Granite School district as not at or proficient in math, depending on grade. Per AmeriCorps member, students will be identified for the pull-out model through a screening assessment that will provide data for each student on the key concept gaps that must be addressed to develop grade level proficiency. Granite School District is working hard to improve math proficiency and that is where we need your help!
United Way of Salt Lake is seeking 10 full-time AmeriCorps members to serve as tutors at the following 10 identified elementary schools in the Granite School District for the 2018/19 school year.
1. Deliver math-based activities one on one or with small groups of students in breakout sessions
2. Engage volunteers from Math and/or STEM based businesses to provide Math instruction to youth during the day and afterschool.
3. Provide the communication, passion, and organization that this program will require to be successful.
4. Measure impact through student and teacher pre and post assessments and surveys
5. Attend all AmeriCorps meetings and trainings
• Complete 1,700 hours of service for the duration of the school year (full-time equivalent)
• Comply with all United Way, individual school, and Granite School District policies and procedures
- Strong commitment of 10 months of service
- Must be at least 17 years of age, be a United States citizen, U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Have, or actively pursuing, a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must meet minimum eligibility requirements set forth by the Corporation for National and Community Service, as well as Granite School District, including:
- Passing a criminal background check, fingerprint, and drug-screening;
- Must be clear of any record on the National Sex Offender Public Registry;
- Must have a criminal record clear of any conviction of murder
- Preference will be given to those with work or educational experience related to math, science, technology, and/or engineering.
- Living stipend of $15,000 ($1,500 per month). Total living stipend will vary based on number of months served
- Living stipends are subject to federal and state income tax as well as FICA
- Upon successful completion of service, members will receive an education award of $5,815.
To apply email, your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate in the email which community (South Salt Lake or Kearns) for which you wish to be considered.