A year in service with United Way Worldwide as the United Way Economic Mobility AmeriCorps VISTA Leader is filled with challenges, successes and surprises for both you and the volunteers you will work with each day. You will create memories and develop relationships that last a lifetime. You will learn a lot about poverty and United Way’s global efforts to inspire and engage volunteers, donors and advocates who seek to change lives and communities through service, collaboration and impact. You will also learn a lot about yourself as you create opportunities for people to organize, build coalitions and effect positive change.
From United Way Worldwide in Alexandria, Virginia, you will recruit, train, mentor, and celebrate the accomplishments of national service members and supervisors at United Ways across the country working to help more individuals and families obtain employment and improve their financial education and management skills.
The impact and benefit of this project in the community will be to help thousands of people get on stable financial ground with proven methods like job training, financial wellness classes, and more. The result is stronger communities where everyone has more opportunity to succeed. And like your previous national service experience, the impact on you will be transformational, with time and opportunity to build and strengthen your confidence, leadership, and professional skills needed for your future.
As a member of United Way Worldwide’s U.S. Network team, your contribution will extend far beyond the communities where VISTA members serve. You will be empowered to identify, cultivate and share the experiences and best thinking on volunteer engagement and anti-poverty strategies among United Way’s global network and its community partners.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Help recruit, screen and place VISTA candidates at host sites.
- Develop, identify and provide resources, training and professional development opportunities for VISTA members and supervisors that address administrative policies and project goals.
- Facilitate communication and networking among members to support VISTAs in reporting, achieving their goals, building the capacity of the project and community partnerships, and shaping strategies that create a foundation for long-term sustainable community solutions.
- Promote project successes that highlight individuals and organizations that have benefitted from the VISTA Project.
- Plan and execute volunteer events that create a greater awareness in the community about the struggles of people living in poverty.
- Minimum Requirement: Applicants must be a college graduate and have successfully completed a full term of service in AmeriCorps, or the Peace Corps.
- Skill Requirements: Excellent writing and editing skills, Superior time management skills, Communications, Community Organization, Conflict Resolution, Fundraising and grant writing experience, public speaking, recruitment, and non-profit management experience.
- Interested applicants should apply at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=78900&fromSearch=true
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.