VISTA Assignment Objectives and Member Activities:
Goal of the Project: To help ensure that families living in subsidized households receive the educational and career development support they need to help break the cycle of poverty. This VISTA project will build the capacity of the El Paso County Housing Authority (EPCHA) by developing a network of services and community support for the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) in Fabens, TX. The FSS Center is a space to provide coordinated services to assist housing participants in accessing GED & ESL classes, job training, and job placement services. The VISTA will coordinate with community partners to build capacity and assist in the implementation of projects and related activities.
Objective of the Assignment
Assess the current needs and existing partnerships of the El Paso County Housing Authority and seek opportunities for new sustainable partnerships that develop the FSS Center and create a process for formalizing and maximizing community partnerships.
- Research best practices of FSS programs across the nation and identify the strategies that would be a best fit for EPCHA.
- Identify current and potential partnership opportunities based on the needs and gaps in services within the community.
- Develop documents and formalize procedures necessary to for outreach to existing and new partnerships.
Conduct research and collect the necessary data for EPCHA staff to complete and submit grant requests for programs that fit within the Economic Opportunity and Education focus areas.
Objective of the Assignment
Develop systems for outreach with new and existing community organizations to increase support and financial investments for the FSS Center.
- Conduct research into available resources geared towards Economic Opportunity and Education focus areas initiatives.
- Develop meaningful relationships with potential community partners and donors to increase contributions and/or in-kind gifts directly supporting the facilitation of community-wide initiatives.
- Develop relationships with community partners to create volunteer opportunities for corporate engagement, including volunteer recruitment, engagement, and retention.
- Develop an outlet for volunteer engagement in the community of Fabens, TX through partnership activities and opportunities on www.volunteerelpaso.org
Create outreach materials to tie volunteer engagement to donor relations and financial contributions, leveraging the relationships to increase resources in the community.
Required Qualifications (documentation proving qualification will be collected)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien
- Must be at least 18 years of age on or before August 1, 2021
- Must be able to pass a background check upon start of service
- Must be able to communicate proficiently in English; Spanish language skills preferred
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Associates Degree or some college experience preferred
- Must be competent in web browsing, emailing, and Microsoft Office Programs
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle
- Skills and Demonstrated Abilities· Strong leadership and ability to work effectively individually, as well as with a team
- Consistent verbal/ written communication skills
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Dependable time management and organization skills to coordinate multiple tasks
- Reliable written and verbal recordkeeping, documenting, and reporting skills
- Personal Attributes
- Works well with others, regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion or ability
- Delivers strong public speaking skills and is attentive to detail, accuracy and quality
- Exemplifies honesty, compassion, integrity, good judgment, professionalism, and tact
- Demonstrates passion for/commitment to enhancing the community in which they serve
Internal and external contacts are critical to success of this program. The AmeriCorps VISTA will focus on developing and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders, including host sites, educational institutions, foundations, community groups, government agencies, non-profit agencies, neighborhood associations, faith-based organizations, and individual donors.
Living Allowance and Benefits
- AmeriCorps Members will receive (upon successful completion of program requirements):
- A living allowance of $515.08 every two weeks.
- Upon completion of a full year of service (12 months), the VISTA will have the option to receive an education award ($6,345) or cash stipend ($1,800)
- A health insurance plan and SNAP eligibility
*Eligible AmeriCorps VISTA Members may apply to receive childcare benefits