Why Work for United Way:
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you'll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team.
Objectives & Expectations:
The United Way improves lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good to help all residents thrive and live the best version of themselves. We all benefit when a child succeeds in school, when someone finds a job that sustains a family, or when more people get quality, affordable healthcare. United Way endeavors to drive measurable impact by focusing and accelerating our current agenda centered around economic mobility, education, and health initiatives while remaining responsive to community needs with flexibility to respond to critical needs and crises.
We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our Fundraising Team and provide staff support for the African American Leadership (AALS) Council at United Way. As an intern, you will work with professionals and donors in the community who are committed to growing the AALS Council and the programs they support. This position is ideal for someone looking to strengthen their administrative, public relations and fundraising skills. You will be an intregral part of a very successful Fundraising Team who are generating over $20 million dollars to meet the needs of the Hampton Roads community. Ultimately, you will gain broad experience at a major non-profit and should be prepared to enter any professional working environment.
Commitment to equity, diversity & inclusion
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Key Skills Requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong desire to learn along with a professional drive
- Current enrollment in a related BS or Masters degree
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimum supervision
- High level of professionalism
- Strong listening and social skills
Work Demands & Environment:
- Ability to stoop, lift, finger - for example pick, pinch, or type and grasp.
- Ability to clearly and concisely express and exchange detailed information and ideas to others accurately via spoken word
- Exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to inspect and analyze figures, accounting items, written materials, newsprint, computer terminal characters, transcription, and other similar objects at distances generally close to the eyes.
- The worker is subject to a variety of inside environmental conditions that may occur in an office, a private home, or elsewhere in the community including temperature variations, unpleasant odors, and potential allergens.
- Although inside work is the rule, it is required that the individual be able to travel and may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions.
Interested? Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
United Way of South Hampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment ond advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at UWSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. UWSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis af race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics. Please Nate: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.