Reports to: UWP Public Policy Director
- Increase grassroots engagement by UWP membership in support of United Way state and federal advocacy priorities
- Increase United Way volunteer, donor, and general public engagement in support of United Way’s legislative priorities.
- Implement communication and engagement strategies to support our advocacy grant commitments
- Produce compelling, persuasive, and effective communications which support UWP’s policy agenda
- Equip UWP members with timely and accurate information about how legislation, regulation or other government action will impact United Way community impact, resource development and/or nonprofit partners.
Implement strategies to execute the UWP public policy agenda with direction from the UWP Public Policy Director
Engage members in public policy advocacy through strategies which include:
- Briefing members on policy priorities of UWP through written and electronic means
- Issuing timely action requests on state and federal priorities
- Identifying educational topics and subject matter experts to talk about policy matters relevant to United Way’s work
Partner with local United Ways to engage United Way boards of directors and other volunteers, including business and community leaders, to advocate for United Way priorities, including management of subgrants to local partners for advocacy activities
Plan and execute in-district and Capitol meetings and events to support UWP’s advocacy priorities, including UWP’s annual Hill Day in Harrisburg
Review and analyze legislation and maintain UWP’s bill tracking system
Conduct research to inform UWP’s advocacy efforts.
Develop advocacy messages for social media and coordinate social media advocacy with staff who coordinate UWP’s overall social media content and calendar
Develop persuasive communications to support legislative and regulatory advocacy as directed by UWP’s Public Policy Director
Assist the public policy director with the UWP ALICE project
- Develop deep familiarity with the data, increase understanding and visibility of ALICE in PA, and United Way’s support for ALICE in our state
- Coordinate the ALICE project with United Way’s policy advocacy
- Manage tasks and relationships necessary for the successful implementation of the ALICE project
Build relationships with legislative staff and state agency staff to support United Way’s public policy agenda.
Represent UWP at various coalition meetings, conference calls, and conferences as needed
Build relationships with like-minded advocacy organizations, and develop formal and informal communications which support coordination of advocacy efforts with these partners
Implement strategies to support United Way Worldwide public policy priorities
Author content for UWP’s member and public newsletters
Direct UWP’s compliance with quarterly lobby expense reporting requirements as required by state law
Serve in an administrative capacity to support the UWP Public Policy Committee, with direction from the UWP Public Policy Director
Other duties assigned by the UWP Public Policy Director
Bachelor’s Degree; equivalent experience also considered
At least 2-3 years of prior experience working in government relations, state/federal government or other advocacy and policy experience
Strong oral and written communication
Prior experience engaging grassroots supporters in advocacy is preferred
Some overnight travel is required. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, or to provide your own reliable transportation to and from the office as well as required statewide travel.
This position is a non-exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Salary and Benefits:
United Way of Pennsylvania offers a competitive benefits package which includes health care, vision, dental insurance, paid time off, and a 401(k)-employer match. UWP maintains a hybrid working environment, with a combination of office days and work from home days, with an expectation of 2 days in the office per week, and possibility of more during legislative session weeks. The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $52,000 per year, depending on qualifications and experience.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume’ and persuasive writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by March 6, 2023 to be considered.