United Way of Central Iowa is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant to position to support and advance United Way’s mission of improving lives by providing administrative support for the Central Iowa Works team. Central Iowa Works is an initiative of United Way of Central Iowa which acts as a workforce intermediary, convening partners to build solutions that help businesses, families, and our community thrive. Our programs connect employers with talented workers in jobs that provide career growth and financial stability. Programs focus on career pathways in health care, retail and helping people returning from prison gain employment and establish themselves in our community.This role is grant-funded and performs a variety of administrative duties for eight team members including front desk reception and support and working with people from many different cultural and economic backgrounds with a customer service oriented focus. The position’s supporting work helps to advance the organizational goals in the community impact priority of income
Why Choose UWCI?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- On-site cafeteria
- Free, newly remodeled on-site fitness center
- Commitment to employee professional development
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Paid volunteer time off
- Participating in cross-functional teams and organization-wide initiatives and projects
- Tuition Assistance
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
Essential Accountabilities Include (but not limited to):
- Provides front desk support by greeting visitors, answering phones and responding to emails to provide basic information about Central Iowa Works and related programs.
- Sets up initial intake appointments for CIW staff.
- Manages calendars and appointments in Outlook for Central Iowa Works staff
- Orders supplies and additional support items at direction of program staff.
- Performs file verification and helps contact participants for missing documents
- Prepare weekly job list by searching for openings across many employment sectors online and summarizing job openings in a list to be sent out to Central Iowa Works partners
- Assists with simulation scheduling, coordination, program evaluation and volunteer scheduling
- Assists with retail program recruitment, training, and follow up activities
- Attends all partnership meetings and assist with meeting minutes, summaries and action items.
- Files confidential paperwork as needed.
- Enters participant data into computer database.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Aligns behavior and work with the UWCI Code of Ethics and Core Values.
- Customer Oriented: Ability to serve clients (both external and internal) by focusing effort on meeting their needs, concerns, and seeking to build trust.
- Relationship Building: Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport and relationships with customers and coworkers.
- Professional – Ability to demonstrate and model a strong work ethic by placing a high value on doing a good job, respecting others and functioning with integrity.
- Accurate: Ability to produce error-free work and consistently meet quality objectives.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to changing workplace conditions.
- Initiative: Ability to act and take steps to solve or settle an issue.
- Communication skills – Oral: Ability to send tactful and appropriate verbal messages and listen to others’ response in order to convey information.
- Communication – Written: Ability to write concise, clear letters, reports, articles, or emails including proofing and editing work.
- Organized: Ability to be structured and methodical in working skills.
- Time management: Ability to effectively use available time for the completion of necessary job tasks.
- Detail oriented – Ability to pay meticulous attention to all aspects of a situation or task.
- Self-directed – Ability to complete assigned tasks with little or no oversight.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- One year or more years of administrative support experience, preferably in a team setting.
- Customer service and workforce development experience preferred.
- Strong customer service experience and skill both in person, over the phone and through email.
- Proven experience and ease in working successfully with people from many different cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Solid experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook as well as internet search engines.
- Proven ability to work successfully in a team and fast-paced environment.
United Way is an equal opportunity employer and employment practices are implemented without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religious beliefs, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local fair employment practices.